ms 290 bar and chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrendfrey

Jan 15, 2012
green mtns vt
hey guys first time posting in this room but i was wondering about my ms 290. i bought it new with a 16 inch bar and chain. everything i get around northern vt is between 10-24 inches so the bar does just fine plenty of power with the saw i was wondering if i can put a 3/8 full chisel chain on it. do i need a different bar on the saw or is it just not going to work. i have a stihl dealer close but sometimes i wonder about him havent aske or anything just want to see what you guys say. thanks for the response ahead of time

I think I'd just buy a chisel chain that will fit the existing equipment. In fact, I did just that. I spent the money saved on other stuff.

Matt

Reactions: MasterMech
The answer is a big fat... depends. You can spec out a new saw with several different lengths of bar and also a couple of different gauges or whatever the 3/8 refers to. You choose either 3/8 or .325 when you buy the saw. So you need to find out what you have on your saw now. You may have a 3/8" chain on your 16" bar. I bought mine new with a 3/8 chain on a 20" bar, the normal spec in the NW, and it has been great. I use the OEM safety chain plus the stihl chisel skip chain.

Reactions: MasterMech
The MS290 does very well with a 16" bar and .325 chain if you already have the .325 bar setup. Just pick up a loop of 26RSC-67. If your bar is already 3/8" then the chain your after is 33RSC-60.

Reactions: TreePointer
Got a saw shop near you? Stihl dealer? Oregon dealer?
Take the saw in & they will match you up a chisel chain for it.

They love this stuff & helping guys run saws.

If you are dead set in changing to a new 3/8 bar, sprocket & chain. (Am guessing you have a .325)
They can set you up with that too. Spare chain nice to have in the saw tool box too ;)
Give you pointers & answer your questions , show you how to replace the sprocket.

A fun place to go visit & kick the tires on other wood cutting stuff. Look at the saws & other tools :)

Keep us posted on which way you end up going

RSF is the skip version of stihl chisel chain. I love me a skip chain. RSC is the non-skip so double the amount of teeth to sharpen and in my experience, same chain life.

Status
Not open for further replies.