ms 290 repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 9, 2008
Northern Ohio
Hey guys, I have a Stihl Farmboss 290. The oil reservoir has a chip of plastic missing where the cap threads into it. It wants to pop up every time I try to close it. After a lot of struggling the cap will lock, but it is a real pain in the butt. Any ideas about repairs would be helpful. Thanks!

If the body is cracked, I'd try using one of the automotive plastic gas can repair kits. It should bond well and not dissolve with contact with petroleum products.

Matt

Pic Please?

EatenByLimestone said:
If the body is cracked, I'd try using one of the automotive plastic gas can repair kits. It should bond well and not dissolve with contact with petroleum products.

Matt

I wonder about some JB Water Weld? Seems like it might work. I've not used it a lot but have repaired a few things. One was a neighbor who bought a used car. Brought it home and wouldn't you know, anti-freeze started showing up around a slight crack. He tried regular JB but it would not hold. I went home and got some of the water weld. That car was used on a rural mail route for 3 years after that and the leak never gave any problems. It works! But I am not sure about how oil might affect it.

Backwoods Savage said:
I wonder about some JB Water Weld? Seems like it might work. I've not used it a lot but have repaired a few things. One was a neighbor who bought a used car. Brought it home and wouldn't you know, anti-freeze started showing up around a slight crack. He tried regular JB but it would not hold. I went home and got some of the water weld. That car was used on a rural mail route for 3 years after that and the leak never gave any problems. It works! But I am not sure about how oil might affect it.

Where was the crack?

Cracked block; above the spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.