MS 362 versus MS 362 C-Q?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jager

I've got a couple of Stihl MS 250 18" saws. They've been a great experience (vastly better than the Homelite saw I used for years prior).

I'm looking for a bit more power and capability on bigger trees and am considering the MS 362. I'm still debating between the 20" and 25" bar (I know the 20" would balance better with the 362 from a power standpoint; albeit the 25" would provide a much more dramatic change over my current 18" saws; I'm currently leaning towards the 20"...).

What are opinions on the 362 C-Q (quick-brake system) versus the standard 362?

I know the 362 is considered a pro saw and it's presumed that whomever uses it ought to know what they're doing. But I also believe that human beings - regardless of how experienced and expert - are fallible, and I'm not averse to a passive safety system which is engineered and built well and which is largely invisible in operation. I have ABS brakes on my Harley and BMW motorcycles and like it.

I am aware of the recall on the C-Q system earlier in the year. I'm assuming that's all been taken care of with respect to new saws.

Any thoughts welcome...

i have had an 025 for many yrs. i still like it and always thought it was a good saw. i recently bought a standard ms362 and it is hard to belive the difference between the two. due to working alot of overtime recently, i have not had much time to run it only part of one day. i was very impressed with the power.

Lots of people will tell you that a 20" bar is the sweet spot for a 60cc saw, and I agree. Get the 20-incher.

The C-B engages the chain brake whenever you let go of the throttle. I don't like it because there are times that I don't want the brake to engage. I'm also in the habit of engaging the brake manually.

I'll pick the standard I don't want a saw thinking for me plus one more thing to go wrong (break) and wear out.

The CQ braking system has been around for awhile now on the MS270/280 and the MS361 prior to the MS362. No durability issues that I'm aware of (other than the previously mentioned recall) and other than a slight weight penalty, no disadvantages either. I'm in the habit of setting the normal brake immediately after finishing a cut but absolutely nothing wrong with a passive system so long as it does not interfere with normal saw operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.