MS170 non-working DEAL?!?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Made contact with a local guy that has a "2yr old 170 that doesn't have spark". I offered $35 he countered with $50. Worth it?

I figure it could be easy fix like coil, then it would be a decent deal, but nothing spectacular. Opinions?

Jay, could I mill with a 36" bar on this? lol

Danno77 said:
Jay, could I mill with a 36" bar on this? lol

I'm not Jay, but sure. You just need to put the right 3/8 sprocket on it so it has the same chain speed as a stock MS660. Then get a double ended bar, and put a MS660 on the other end. ;-)

If you cant get it running I will wear it around my neck! lol Not getting spark on a 170 I would think its the wire just a guess.

smokinjay said:
If you cant get it running I will wear it around my neck! lol Not getting spark on a 170 I would think its the wire just a guess.
so what about the $50 Jay? If it's just a wire then I'd say heck yeah. what do you think?

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
so what about the $50 Jay? If it's just a wire then I'd say heck yeah. what do you think?

If it looks like its not all beat up I would roll with it....Bet its the plug wire lol if dont a coil not that much.

I would not give the $50, but I don't have as much money as Jay does.

Backwoods Savage said:
lol. I figure that I can always sell it if I have to. Stihls hold their value, so at least it has that going for it.

Danno77 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
lol. I figure that I can always sell it if I have to. Stihls hold their value, so at least it has that going for it.

+1 that saw in ok shape is worth 125.00+ and Thats a pretty good return.

You are right Jay.

But i'll probably just throw a 12" bar on it and keep it for somewhere in the range of 50 years to forever.

Backwoods Savage said:
You are right Jay.

Blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile! :)

make sure it has compression and isn't scored, that the lac k of spark isn't a cover for something else.
kill switch wire might be shorted. I think worth the gamble.
they are sort of disposable, but for $50 you can always part it out abnd get soemthing back.
son has a 180, sweet little lightweight saw.
I have a fully adjustable carb for one that may go in the trading post if another project doesn't pan out.

going to pick it up tomorrow morning. hopefully this is nice find. Making a trip to menards to get some new tile for the hearth.

Danno77 said:
going to pick it up tomorrow morning. hopefully this is nice find. Making a trip to menards to get some new tile for the hearth.

Funny on the 170,180,192t takes longer to warm up and the trigger delay takes some getting use to.

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

Funny on the 170,180,192t takes longer to warm up and the trigger delay takes some getting use to.
I'm just hoping it has the older adjustable carb in it, so I can MM it and then tune correctly. nothing fancy, just to have something nice for light work.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

I'm just hoping it has the older adjustable carb in it, so I can MM it and then tune correctly. nothing fancy, just to have something nice for light work.

Those carb are cheep enough. Heaving one of those little guys around is a must have. May not come off the truck and other times its used very heavy.

I think every man should have some little saws, and a handful of wild-things and wood-sharks. It's important to have what I like to call "sacrificial saws" so that when your wife discovers that you have CAD and tells you to sell some of them, you can always sell those off without it hurting too bad.

Me: "Look, honey, I know I just bought this new Stihl 880, but I sold off 4 saws this month"
Her: "ok, well, I just worried when I saw you come home with a new one"
Me: "I totally understand, but now I have 3 fewer than before, so it's no big deal"
Her: "I hope this doesn't mean that I have to get rid of some purses, too"
Me: "No, just because I'm cutting back, doesn't mean I can't treat you like a princess. In fact, go buy yourself a fancy $100 pair of shoes"
Her: "You are the the best husband ever!"
Me: "I know."

Danno77 said:
I think every man should have some little saws, and a handful of wild-things and wood-sharks. It's important to have what I like to call "sacrificial saws" so that when your wife discovers that you have CAD and tells you to sell some of them, you can always sell those off without it hurting too bad.

Me: "Look, honey, I know I just bought this new Stihl 880, but I sold off 4 saws this month"
Her: "ok, well, I just worried when I saw you come home with a new one"
Me: "I totally understand, but now I have 3 fewer than before, so it's no big deal"
Her: "I hope this doesn't mean that I have to get rid of some purses, too"
Me: "No, just because I'm cutting back, doesn't mean I can't treat you like a princess. In fact, go buy yourself a fancy $100 pair of shoes"
Her: "You are the the best husband ever!"
Me: "I know."

LOL, I do not even look at saws right now not even one that a great deal. 880,460,036,192t.........There is a few that I am thinking I should have bought. 2-056's and a 372. I really have to stop.lol

I bought my 170 1 year old, looked just like new for $75 with 4 extra, brand new stihl chains. At that time I was told that I paid too much for the saw.

I would think $50 for non-running is definitely too much.

I gave him 40 for it. Really, there are some that LOVE the 170 (even several Pros on AS) and there are some that think $1 is too much for a 170. I think I can part it out and make a buck or two on it. requires some hassle to do that, but it's an option.
$40 may be a bit much for a non-working saw, but this could be a bad wire/ easy fix, I dunno. May be a whole lot more than that, but you gotta play to win.

Danno77 said:
I gave him 40 for it. Really, there are some that LOVE the 170 (even several Pros on AS) and there are some that think $1 is too much for a 170. I think I can part it out and make a buck or two on it. requires some hassle to do that, but it's an option.
$40 may be a bit much for a non-working saw, but this could be a bad wire/ easy fix, I dunno. May be a whole lot more than that, but you gotta play to win.

If you check the piston you cant go wrong if its all there!

well, it's clean now. I'm not getting any spark no matter how I mess with the ground and kill wire. I think I need a coil. and the bar is pretty worn on one side. I'll flip it and maybe get a new chain.

Found a new way to clean that I kinda like. Compressed air first, then simple green a spot and hit it with compressed air. Works great for those nooks and crannies.

Took a block/sandpaper to the bar and it's pretty straight, shot it with some black paint to make it look pretty for a picture tonight or tomorrow.

Will pull off muffler tomorrow and see how bad it looks in there. If coil doesn't fix it, then I'm gonna think long and hard about what to do next. I'm still under $100 even if I do that, but i'm just not sure I want to.

Danno77 said:
well, it's clean now. I'm not getting any spark no matter how I mess with the ground and kill wire. I think I need a coil. and the bar is pretty worn on one side. I'll flip it and maybe get a new chain.

Found a new way to clean that I kinda like. Compressed air first, then simple green a spot and hit it with compressed air. Works great for those nooks and crannies.

Took a block/sandpaper to the bar and it's pretty straight, shot it with some black paint to make it look pretty for a picture tonight or tomorrow.

Will pull off muffler tomorrow and see how bad it looks in there. If coil doesn't fix it, then I'm gonna think long and hard about what to do next. I'm still under $100 even if I do that, but i'm just not sure I want to.

You have a volt meter?

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
You have a volt meter?
yes.

Take the coil off and see what or any ohms you get out of it..(This part not good at I let my brother do it) But if you cant get any readings on any setting take it to the dealership they will test it for free. Make sure to check behind the muff. first! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.