MS200T Stihl / Craigslist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zap, just fondled one not 3 hours ago. Retail price was $630. Light as heck, even I could one-arm it, and I'm not a big guy. BUT, it was a top-handle style, didn't feel right for anything but limbing and pruning while the tree was still standing. Ask Danno, I think he might have one.

Beetle-Kill said:
Zap, just fondled one not 3 hours ago. Retail price was $630. Light as heck, even I could one-arm it, and I'm not a big guy. BUT, it was a top-handle style, didn't feel right for anything but limbing and pruning while the tree was still standing. Ask Danno, I think he might have one.

Beetle-Kill I was just putting it for someone looking for the MS200T, wonder what the wife would say if I walked in with another saw.

She liked the fire tonight, some cherry burning down has we speak.

zap

Zap, we now have a fire-ban going on, so I can't even burn in the burn pit. The hearth is not complete, and the BKK is cold and lonely in the garage. I am jealous.

Beetle-Kill said:
Zap, we now have a fire-ban going on, so I can't even burn in the burn pit. The hearth is not complete, and the BKK is cold and lonely in the garage. I am jealous.

Last year (our first year heating with wood) we had already burned two face cord by this time. :red: So far this year I think we have burned 18 splits.

zap

Beetle-Kill said:
Ask Danno, I think he might have one.
I wish. I've just spent a lot of time playing with the displays at the local Farm and Home. (and reading through my Stihl Catalog)

I'd love to have the rear-handled version of that saw, supposed to be a real little screamer. Only advantage I can see with a top-handle is that the handle wouldn't hit my belly when I climb... which is never.

zapny said:
Last year (our first year heating with wood) we had already burned two face cord by this time. :red: So far this year I think we have burned 18 splits.

Yeah, the honeymoon is over now, and you've realized you don't have to "do it" all the time to be happy.

Unless you do a lot of climbing or bucket work. I would not fork out very much money for it. I have an echo CS330T (Top Handle) I picked it up on ebay for $70. That little saw is great for doing what it was meant to do. Sure it will cut through bigger stuff but not it's forte. It always starts right up!
IMO the MS200T is way over priced new.

Bubbavh said:
Unless you do a lot of climbing or bucket work. I would not fork out very much money for it. I have an echo CS330T (Top Handle) I picked it up on ebay for $70. That little saw is great for doing what it was meant to do. Sure it will cut through bigger stuff but not it's forte. It always starts right up!
IMO the MS200T is way over priced new.
I've heard this before. I do hear good things about that saw, in particular I've heard that the 360T performs as well as the Stihl at half of the price. I just did a quick spec check and it looks like this:

Stihl 200T
weight = 7.7
CC = 35.2

Echo 360T
Weight = 8.1lbs
CC= 36.3

Very similar spec wise. Even if you claim that the Stihl will outlast an echo, I guess the question would be, does it outlast two of them?

Danno77 said:
I've heard this before. I do hear good things about that saw, in particular I've heard that the 360T performs as well as the Stihl at half of the price. I just did a quick spec check and it looks like this:

Stihl 200T
weight = 7.7
CC = 35.2

Echo 360T
Weight = 8.1lbs
CC= 36.3

Very similar spec wise. Even if you claim that the Stihl will outlast an echo, I guess the question would be, does it outlast two of them?
The biggest problem with echo equipment is the big box stores! When I buy from my local dealer he starts everything up and runs it for about 5 minutes or so to make sure it's running properly.

From some of my previous comments on my Stihl MS250C, and their carb selection, you may gather that I have not drunk the Stihl Koolaid yet. That said, I did buy an MS200T (out the door for something like $520 last spring.) Night and day difference in apparent construction quality from the MS250C. The 200T feels more like a professional use tool, but costs like one too.

I looked at the Echo 360T, and liked it. I bought their Pole Saw over the Stihl unit because of the pole system, mainly.

However, the "feel" of the MS200T is pretty good in comparison to the Echo 360T top handle saw. The 200T is balanced very well with a 14" bar. It tempts you to do unsafe things! Put a nice, sharp chain on it and limbing becomes a breeze. Bucking up 10"-12" stuff goes fast and the light weight saw is about effortless to wield for a full day. I did not get to cut anything up with the Echo, just wave it around. I'm sure it is a fine saw, if I can judge it by it's Pole Saw cousin, but I think the 200T might be the better of the two for long days and holding up to potential abuse getting dropped out of a tree. Oh, and Echo also seems a little shy about publishing HP ratings on their saws. I never could find anything but the displacement info when I was looking at them. Probably plenty of power, but it would be kind of interesting to know what they claim, at least.

The 200T is certainly not the saw to buy as your "one and only" because of the top handle characteristics (kickback control, etc.) but when there is a little light stuff to do, it is the first saw you would grab, out of the list I have anyway. Worth the price? Who knows... I like mine, but I would probably have liked the Echo as well.

Ok, pass the Koolaid...

I cut trees for a living and the 200T is a great saw. I own 3 of them and would say the are very dependable. This is my own company and it is hard to make money, you got to have good stuff. Would not hesitate on that saw if you can get a good deal. All pro quality saws will perform if they are well taken care of, regardless of brand. If the motor runs OK, the chain has to be done right.

RNLA, question for you- What are the saw's main usage? Do you buck small diam. trees with them, or are they mainly limbing saws? The new price is too much for me($600+), but I'll check CL, if a rear handle one ever shows up. I'm looking at a re-furb. Husky 435 off of EB, less than $200, all over the place right now. Yup, for the wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.