MS260 Chain Recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestcoast

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2009
NW Indiana
My father asked me if I would pick him up an 18" bar and couple loops for his MS260. His saw shop in Ontario charges way too much for bars & chains. He normally runs the Stihl chain, but not sure which.

Suggestions for Semi-Chisel in .325, .050 gauge? (I'll go semi-chisel 'cause I don't know if he'd sharpen enough to benefit from full chisel)
Are the Stihl with a safety link any good?

I'd go with Woodland Pro 'cause I like it in 3/8's, but I guess they don't make a semi-chisel in 0.325, .050?

Full chisel Stihl 'RS' chain.

I've been using a semi-low kickback (Uses a modified raker design not the typical low kickback crap) Oregon VPX 0.325 on my 346XP and have been pretty pleased with the performance. Although I may go out and buy a loop of LPX before heading out woodcutting this year.

I'm using Stihl RS or Oregon LP on everything else.

midwestcoast said:
My father asked me if I would pick him up an 18" bar and couple loops for his MS260. His saw shop in Ontario charges way too much for bars & chains. He normally runs the Stihl chain, but not sure which.

Suggestions for Semi-Chisel in .325, .050 gauge? (I'll go semi-chisel 'cause I don't know if he'd sharpen enough to benefit from full chisel)

I'd go with Woodland Pro 'cause I like it in 3/8's, but I guess they don't make a semi-chisel in 0.325, .050?

Baileys has everything, but finding things on their website can be the challenge. Give them a ring and tell them what you need, they'll have it.

midwestcoast said:
He normally runs the Stihl chain, but not sure which.

Stihl RMC is semi-chisel, RMC3 is the semi-chisel safety chain, and RSC is full chisel. I prefer RSC, but RMC would be good for use in dirty wood. If he is a competent operator then skip the safety chain.

.325 what I would run, let the wood dictate the rest.

Thanks folks, guess I'll go with the Stihl RSC

Status
Not open for further replies.