ms361 initial impressions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
After bucking a load of logs with a new stihl 361 im going to give my thughts on it. This is a great mid range saw. Its perfect power to weight for sawing anything under about 18" which is about a thick of a tree I work up. A 20" bar was a little long IMO. Mostly because no log was 20" through and a short bar is easier kept out of the dirt. This saw is way ahead of the 290 even though its not that much bigger. Anyone know what the other doolybob is on top of the saw across from the decompression valve? Looks kind of like an air chuck for a tire valve. Any way great saw for $550(i think that is what my fatherinlaw paid). just my thoughts. PS was cutting Birch (smells great) and maple.

Thats pretty much how I fill about the 361 18 or 16 in. bar makes it a litte easier to move around. Its got enough power for the 20 inch.

so whats that doolybob on top of the saw opposite the decomp valve?

oilstinks said:
so whats that doolybob on top of the saw opposite the decomp valve?

I know what your talking about but dont know what that things for.

that is the chain brake!! :lol:

Had to toss that in for "oldspark"

Looks like a mount of some type. Does not refer to it in the manual. So I can not help.

’bert said:
that is the chain brake!! :lol:

Had to toss that in for "oldspark"

Looks like a mount of some type. Does not refer to it in the manual. So I can not help.

Or it could be the air filter attachment screw handle.

are you talking about the winter / summer air ports ? one position for summer and one for winter.

Gator eye said:
are you talking about the winter / summer air ports ? one position for summer and one for winter.

Thats the only thing I can think of that is over there. Does it have a little sun and snow flake on it??

Edit: wait a min. that air port is right next to the decomp thingy.

Can you take a pic of it??

dont mess with that
thats the airbag deployment port

whew, that was close once it deploys the saw is totaled

ironpony said:
dont mess with that
thats the airbag deployment port

whew, that was close once it deploys the saw is totaled

Oh wait, its the flux capacitive ecto-plasmatic transmatter ray housing cover. Yea, better not futs with it. Geez No wonder those things are so expensive.

Na its not the summer winter setting it is directly on top of the saw. The decomp valve is at an angle on the right and this is straight up and down on the left flush with the plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.