Mt. Vernon AE flame height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
I am burning Turman pellets in my AE, it is set on auto, normal elevation, hardwood pellet setting. -5 flame height, and on medium and even medium low, the flames are hitting the top of the baffle. Any ideas on how to get the flame lower?

First of all I assume that the stove is clean. Only reason I ask is that when I start having issues like this it usually means the stove is dirty.

Have you tried to switch to high elevation setting? This will give you a bit more air but I also believe you end up burning more pellets as well.

tsmith said:
I am burning Turman pellets in my AE, it is set on auto, normal elevation, hardwood pellet setting. -5 flame height, and on medium and even medium low, the flames are hitting the top of the baffle. Any ideas on how to get the flame lower?

If everything is clean then I would recommend changing every setting in the control box to something else, then setting back to where you want it. I have seen them get stuck in the wrong mode before, like stuck on one fuel and showing another on the control. Unplug the stove (battery too if you have one) for 10 minutes prior to doing this.
Hope this helps.

is the flame lazy?

Stove was just cleaned last weekend with the leaf blower, flame is not lazy it is burning very strong, I did have it on high altitude before and put it back to normal. If I remember correctly it was high then too, I will try that again. If that don't work I will try turning stove off and resetting.

Put it back on high elevation and it has calmed down to a decent height. Guess the Turmans are just that dense and need less fuel and more air to burn properly.

I was still getting high flame height, so I put it on corn setting high elevation, because corn setting is the slowest feed rate. It is now burning at the proper height. I should also save some fuel because of the slower feed, however, the ignitor will be on a lot longer now.

tsmith said:
I was still getting high flame height, so I put it on corn setting high elevation, because corn setting is the slowest feed rate. It is now burning at the proper height. I should also save some fuel because of the slower feed, however, the ignitor will be on a lot longer now.

Glad you figured it out. I'll have to remember that for the future in case I run into the same thing!

How much longer will the ignitor stay on?

I know the AE's are more advanced than my Quad's but on mine, the igniter will stay on a set amount of time OR until the 600 degree point is reached where the red light on the control box comes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.