Mt Vernon AE goes south after 10 years!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

haroetx

Jan 26, 2009
North Texas
Long time readers first time poster!
I have had my MVAE for 10 years with little to no issues… I have previously replaced a thermal couple, an ignitor, and a vacuum switch previously (not in that order)
How ever it has recently gone bad! The dealer I bought it from has changed owners and the service team is always 3 months behind. Cut to the chase- I have replaced the control board, fire pot thermal couple and the ignitor and I cannot get a flame! Anyone care to share some insight so I can get this going again?

Any error codes on wall control? Is it dropping pellets and not lighting? Or not dropping pellets? Does wall control power up?
Need more info to be able to give insight.

Is the ignitor getting hot? You can take bench test it with a lamp cord. When you replaced the ignitor did you positively checked continuity from the two wires to where it leads? Maybe one of the wires is loose or faulty.

When you replaced the ignitor and thermocouple did you use OEM or aftermarket parts? The aftermarket thermocouples are notorious for having the wiring reversed so the stove will never think it's warmed up. It appears they don't last as long and sometimes short out then short the control board with it.

If you have the battery backup 12 Volt option, try a manual start. It'll give you time to light the pellets manually. I use starting gel and a propane torch. Wait one or two minutes before closing the door or the fan will blow out the fire before it gets going.