Mt Vernon AE Pellet Settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGISLANDHIKERS

Feeling the Heat
Sep 12, 2007
Has anyone been able to run this stove on anything other than Utility Pellet and -5 flame? No matter how many types of pellets I have tried any other setting feeds too many pellets and causes the lazy flame. For the price of this stove youd think there would be more control over the operation.

BIH

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
Has anyone been able to run this stove on anything other than Utility Pellet and -5 flame? No matter how many types of pellets I have tried any other setting feeds too many pellets and causes the lazy flame. For the price of this stove youd think there would be more control over the operation.

BIH
I have used many of the settings on my AE insert but the one I haven't really used much is the utility pellet setting, it goes into auto clean too much, and have never tried wheat setting. Try setting the elevation to high. When I get lazy flame issues the high elevation seems to take care of it for me. The corn setting will feed the least amount of pellets but it has real long igniter on times. The sunflower setting will drive you out of the house but is real nice on the extremely cold days. Right now, burning Prestologs, I am on the hardwood setting, normal elevation, -1 flame height and the flame height is ok and not lazy or sooty. The magnetic stove thermometer stuck to the center front of the heat output door openings reads 300 °F to 325 °F
How long ago has your stove had a complete cleaning including the exhaust piping and combustion blower removal? The leaf blower trick along with some compressed air works great on these AE's
Do you have a OAK, outside air kit, installed?
How are the door gaskets, dollar bill test?
Check the fire pot floor for sagging springs usually you will find pieces of unburnt pellets in the ash pan when the springs get weak.
I always unplug the stove when cleaning to reboot it or if a major fuel type change is made.
How old or what year is your stove?

You have to put yourself in the stove manufacturer's shoes. Not all of us have the same level of skill. (Its hard to be nice when saying this but!) They have to be careful of the ones that play with stuff but haven't a clue why or what there doing. At least they offered some user adjustments. There are many stoves out there that only allow the user to adjust the damper.

The only stove I know of that offers full user interface is the bixby stoves. They offer a cable kit you can connect a PC to the stove's controller and allows the user to change the program parameter's.

FordMastertech said:
BIGISLANDHIKERS said:

BIH
I have used many of the settings on my AE insert but the one I haven't really used much is the utility pellet setting, it goes into auto clean too much, and have never tried wheat setting. Try setting the elevation to high. When I get lazy flame issues the high elevation seems to take care of it for me. The corn setting will feed the least amount of pellets but it has real long igniter on times. The sunflower setting will drive you out of the house but is real nice on the extremely cold days. Right now, burning Prestologs, I am on the hardwood setting, normal elevation, -1 flame height and the flame height is ok and not lazy or sooty. The magnetic stove thermometer stuck to the center front of the heat output door openings reads 300 °F to 325 °F
How long ago has your stove had a complete cleaning including the exhaust piping and combustion blower removal? The leaf blower trick along with some compressed air works great on these AE's
Do you have a OAK, outside air kit, installed?
How are the door gaskets, dollar bill test?
Check the fire pot floor for sagging springs usually you will find pieces of unburnt pellets in the ash pan when the springs get weak.
I always unplug the stove when cleaning to reboot it or if a major fuel type change is made.
How old or what year is your stove?

WOW highest I have gotten out of my AE is 280 on sunflower. What am I doing wrong? Barefoots, high elev., Heat High, -4 flame, no OAK. Routine cleanings and monthly or every ton blower removed for thorough cleaning. 2008 install. Heating 2900 sq. ft. colonial.

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:

BIH

Have you ever tried the corn setting. Pellets that are fairly dense seem to burn better on this setting. I have been burning on the corn setting with flame height adjustment anywhere from 0 to +5. Only drawback is the igniter stays lit a bit longer.

JoeS said:
BIGISLANDHIKERS said:

BIH

Have you ever tried the corn setting. Pellets that are fairly dense seem to burn better on this setting. I have been burning on the corn setting with flame height adjustment anywhere from 0 to +5. Only drawback is the igniter stays lit a bit longer.

I did try for a few days, did not seem to get as much heat out of the stove though. And i didnt care for the ignitor being on so much. I think I still had the flame height set on -5 though, maybe I will try the 0 to 5 range on the flame height. The reason I started using it was that I found it took care of the clinker problem I am experiencing this year with the Barefoots (3rd season with them and never had an issue).

pelletkrzd said:
JoeS said:
BIGISLANDHIKERS said:

BIH

I did try for a few days, did not seem to get as much heat out of the stove though. And i didnt care for the ignitor being on so much. I think I still had the flame height set on -5 though, maybe I will try the 0 to 5 range on the flame height. The reason I started using it was that I found it took care of the clinker problem I am experiencing this year with the Barefoots (3rd season with them and never had an issue).

What was your flame height setting. I had the same problem and simply raised the flame height.

pelletkrzd said:
JoeS said:

How long is it between autoclean cycles on the corn setting? I've used sunflower (at JoeS's suggestion) but not corn.

I just started having a problem with some clinkering yesterday with the Cubex I am burning now. The clinker was dense enough so that during an autoclean cycle, it wasn't dropping out of the pot into the pan. Maybe I'll try the corn setting. But, I've only got a bag of Cubex left, so maybe not. I'll have to remember for next time.

This is the info I have and is based on the stove running on highest setting:

corn 2.4 hrs.

ut. pell. 1.2 hrs

softwood 3.2 hrs.

sunflseeds 2.4 hrs.

wheat 1.8 hrs.

hrdwood . 2.1 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.