Mt. Vernon and gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joescho

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2009
Northeastern PA
Gotta Question Guys (and Gals):

Reading Eric's thread on the Mt. Vernon and lack of cleaning, on my Mt. Vernon insert I distinctly remember the dealer telling me that one of the blowers (I'm thinking convection) has a gasket that needs to be replaced or will need to be replaced every so often.

Is it in fact the convection blower that needs the gasket, and does it come from the factory with a substandard gasket in which you replace the first time you take the blower off, or does it have a decent gasket that can handle you taking the blower off and on without tearing or becomming unusable?

I'm thinking of taking that blower off this weekend just to see what it will look like after burning a few bags , plus I get to learn about tkaing it off, and putting it back on but do not want to do that if I would need to replace the gasket.

Thanks

J

no gasket on the convection blower.

combustion blower has a gasket and quad offers a reuseable one as a replacement(rubber)

I'll dig up a pic later.

Joe S said:
Gotta Question Guys (and Gals):

Reading Eric's thread on the Mt. Vernon and lack of cleaning, on my Mt. Vernon insert I distinctly remember the dealer telling me that one of the blowers (I'm thinking convection) has a gasket that needs to be replaced or will need to be replaced every so often.

Is it in fact the convection blower that needs the gasket, and does it come from the factory with a substandard gasket in which you replace the first time you take the blower off, or does it have a decent gasket that can handle you taking the blower off and on without tearing or becomming unusable?

I'm thinking of taking that blower off this weekend just to see what it will look like after burning a few bags , plus I get to learn about tkaing it off, and putting it back on but do not want to do that if I would need to replace the gasket.

Thanks

J

Any of the parts that have a flat lytherm gasket between them will over time due to expansion and contraction or because of removing to clean things tear. The very first ones I can think of would be on the combustion blower and convection blower.

It is difficult to remove the blower without either a twisting or cutting motion.

You always want to have a replacement gasket on hand before playing.

Such is what happens when sharp edges are against fragile materials.

Looks like I'm not touching that until I get a spare gasket!

Thanks

heres the reuseable gasket quad offers.

Attachments

• IMAG0137.jpg
    IMAG0137.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 316
What is that reuseable gasket made of????

Don't recall.

Not having to get a new one everytime=priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.