Mt. Vernon installed - now working 2 days later after some "issues"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John97

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2011
Spring Hill, FL
I don't even know where to begin.

For now, here's a picture of my non-working Mt. Vernon.

I'm too angry right now to lay it all out coherently. I am awaiting a phone call, and need to get something to eat. After that, I'll come back and tell the tale.

Attachments

• mtvernonfail.jpg
    mtvernonfail.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,061
Uh,oh. I know you've really been looking forward to your stove.

This doesn't sound like a good start! :(

Guess you shoulda done it yerself, huh? Then you wouldn't hafta blame somebody else.

Strap in kids, here we go.

I ordered my Mt. Vernon back on November 29th, put down a deposit. Went back a few weeks later and paid the balance in full.

Today was the big day. At 12:00 noon as I am awaiting the installer I get a call from the dealer. It's explained to me that the installer was looking over the order on the way here and saw the OAK. Apparently, I wasn't charged for OAK installation on an insert ($225), just for the price for the kit itself. Lets call this screwup #1.

As I am sure you all would expect to hear, an attempt was made to talk me out of doing the installation with the OAK. Basically, since I wasn't charged for the OAK install it wasn't going to be done. Unless, I either pay the $225 extra or talk to the installer and see if I could work it out with him, since he's a subcontractor. At this point, I am highly annoyed, and I decide to wait for the installer and see how this is going to proceed.

The installer arrives. First of all, I can't say enough good things about him. He shined through all of this. Professional, conscientious, and reasonable. End result for the OAK situation is that we worked it out, he installed the OAK out the back wall of my fireplace and did a great job. He actually swept my chimney. I had it swept 5 years ago after we had bought the house, they capped the chimney, and the fireplace sat unused since then. Well, it turns out all they did a quick brush run down from the top and throw the cap on. They didn't brush it out down low. There was a few inches of soot/ash on the smoke shelf, and all over the place. Now, it's spotless.

When I was in the store asking questions, I asked about the thermostat installation. I explained that I understood it had to be installed on a wall and was wired to the stove, and that I didn't think it would be too hard since I have a nice (concrete floor and block walls - bone dry) crawlspace under my living room. You would think at that point I'd be told that I'd have to do that myself. But nope, that wasn't the case. Lets call this screwup #2. Apparently, the installer just hooks the thermostat up and leaves it there off to the side with final placement being the responsibility of the customer.

Fine, whatever. I can go get a length of 3-wire thermostat cable and run it myself. In a way, this is better because wasn't 100% sure where I wanted to put it. But I'll probably just mount it right next to the thermostat for my heat pump.

Installation went forward, everything done. Stove won't fire up. Coming up auger jam. He found the wires that go to a photo eye for the auger were pinched. One was almost completely broken, another really pinched hard, and the others just showed they were pinched slightly.

They are sending the installer back Saturday morning with the part. Hopefully, that is all it takes to get it running. It's just immensely frustrating. The Mt. Vernon is my Christmas present from my wife. She's beside herself because of the whole OAK fiasco and the fact that I am going to have to do some of the work myself. I was actually thinking about doing the OAK myself later. But she's mad because I have to do the thermostat job. And on top of it all, it doesn't work...

Well.... I hope he gets it working Saturday. Sounds like it shouldnt take much.

Also, you will have it just in time for Christmas (literally).

As long as its running, Santa aint gonna make it down that flue! ;-P

It could Always be worse. The OAK thing would have pi$$ed me off too. But its done and in your home. Looks beautiful too. Once you get it going, most of this will pass (hoping)..

Good job for putting up with it all..... Sit back and have a Cold one. Relax and look at the investment that will warm your bones for years to come.

Thanks. I hope so too. At least it was 60 here today and going to be in the 50's tomorrow, so the heat pumps won't run too much.

I don't even want to spend any time downstairs where I can even see the thing because I start getting pissed off even more.

Sorry to hear that things didn't go well today all the anticipation excitement .... & then the balloon pops your expectation was not met today on all levels. On the positive side John you have one special lady in your life, I mean that beautiful stove is her Christmas gift to you Wow your a very lucky man. All will be made right on Saturday. In the mean time sit back relax and think about how much fun your going to have when this bad boy is up and running. Keep us posted.

There is nothing worse than paying for an item or service, having high expectation, and it does not perform as expected. I don't blame you for being upset. Again this is where a pre-burn would have brought this to light.. My dealer does it on all stoves.. Hopefully things will work out. Keep us posted..

gfreek said:
...this is where a pre-burn would have brought this to light.. My dealer does it on all stoves...

Mine does too.

Hope this isn't the start to a bad dealer.

smoke show said:

That is EXACTLY my biggest fear right now. I'm not happy. But, I am trying to be reasonable. Part of me wants to rant and demand service tomorrow to fix it. But, I can live with Saturday. However, I will say that I don't see much in terms of effort or concern to address an unhappy customer.

It really does look beautiful. That's a great Christmas present. And, I truly understand your frustration. In the end though, it will all work out. And on the positive side you said the installer was good so that's always a plus. Keep us posted and I wish you the very best of luck. Hang in there.

John97 said:
smoke show said:

That is EXACTLY my biggest fear right now. I'm not happy. But, I am trying to be reasonable. Part of me wants to rant and demand service tomorrow to fix it. But, I can live with Saturday. However, I will say that I don't see much in terms of effort or concern to address an unhappy customer.

Good luck and you seem to be handling this situation very well...Kudos to you!!

I always fly off the handle and it usually doen't do anything but piss others off. Give the guy a fair chance to fix it and it should be up and running on Saturday!!! Enjoy the warmth for Christmas!!

Like others have eluded to...who cares about the stove, sounds like your wife is awesome! It sure makes you feel good when they go to bat for you. Mine would have been down there ranting and raving until the guy gave us the stove for free just to get her out of the shop :lol: No offense you dealers ;-) I think certain department stores hit a secret red button when she walks in putting the whole store on high alert! I honestly think she gets a rush of adrenaline doing returns.

Thanks for all the positive replies.

I wanted to get a stove a few years ago when we realized the heat pumps were a mistake - high electric bills and we still felt cold all the time.

Circumstances prevented me from being able to spend the money for a few years. Got some things turned around, as well as further motivation because of electric rate increases. The stars aligned so could make it happen now. It's just a reward from the wife because the last few years have been real tough. But, she got to pick the color and the add the optional fancy cast trim.

EDIT: My wife is a raving maniac over the whole situation. I'm trying to just roll with it because I'm trying to keep the blood pressure down.

Great looking stove. Even with it not burning yet I am jealous. A week from now it will be just a bad memory. Congrats :)

If I had installed that it would have been about a 2 to 3 hour job, stove would've burned at the shop and if I didn't I have the part on the truck and if I don't you'd better bet is be going back and getting one because I'm probably not getting the rest of my payment till I do. You'll (your wife) will calm down after its working. You two will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.