Mt Vernon optical eye??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brab

Feb 14, 2011
CNY
We've cleaned , replaced burn pot, igniter, and now auger jam error message is constant. Technician cleaned optical eye but didn't see any dirt. Worked for a day as usual!!

Is this just a lemon? We've had it for 2 seasons and has only worked for 3 months total in this time. The auger goes both ways so works???

The Quadra Trac people say never a problem with the optical eye.

Any suggestions for the technician? Afraid they will say replace motherboard or....

More expensive than heating with oil!!!!

THANKS!!!

The stove is a Mt Vernon AE-MBK, made 10/08..and that's what the technician found when he looked in the right side panel. Really think engineers love gadgets!!!
Thanks,
Barb

If the feed auger goes both ways it isn't working right.

Let me guess Quadrafire has stock in a capacitor and wire harness making company.

On some of their units augers changing direction means the capacitor is gone and needs replacement.

Send that tech my way.

Quadra Trac said it goes both ways to keep the auger cleaned. The tech thought it was wrong too.

I'll get his email and if you don't mind.....help him. Getting very expensive although he's very reasonable!!!

Bet you're right about Quadra Trac's stock!!!

THANKS!!!

Whats quadra track ??

Oops, Quadra Fire it is!!! Have 4 wheel drive on my mind with so much ice today!!

Sorry and thanks,Barb

Hank Hill said:
Whats quadra track ??
^ x2 (does the OP mean Quadrafire?) The AE is much different than the other Quadrafire's. But I never heard of the auger going backward to clear a jam. Normally would indicate the problem Smokey stated above. Bixby stoves ferris wheel feed system reverses to "clean out" a clog or jam. Other models may do this, but Bixby is the only one I know of.
Also thought Quadrafire used a therocouple on all models to sense the flame, not an "eye"?

Barb I was serious about the capacitor issue, when the ones in the auger circuit die the auger can run right, run reversed, or just sit there like a bear figuring out if it should get up from its winters nap.

Yes, there is an optical eye and a thermocoupler to sustain heat and fan it seems. The auger turns both ways and the optical eye is to show a jam. The tech messed with the connections; had the troubleshooting guide showing all the blinking and steady red and green lights

My tech is very frustrated but still trying to figure it out. Too fancy he says. We just wanted something to heat our old farmhouse but seems we goofed!!!

Thanks ALL!!!

Love your bear analogy...maybe we should follow the bears and just hunker down until June it seems.

Can the tech isolate the auger unit or does the entire motherboard have to be replaced? The capacitor...I 'll ask the tech.

Thanks AGAIN,
Barb

brab said:
My tech is very frustrated. Too fancy he says. Thanks ALL!!!

Usually not a good sign when a trained tech says that.
Is he the only tech the dealer has?

And yes the mt vernon will run the auger backwards to clear a jam.

brab said:
Love your bear analogy...maybe we should follow the bears and just hunker down until June it seems.

Can the tech isolate the auger unit or does the entire motherboard have to be replaced? The capacitor...I 'll ask the tech.

Thanks AGAIN,
Barb

The capacitor is in the wiring harness.

If there is nothing jamming the auger the chances are pretty good that the capacitor is shot.

I believe that Smoke Show works on those units.

The dealer fired the original bad tech who'd been with the company forever; this guy works for himself. The dealer doesn't sell these stoves anymore because of all the problems. The tech said that the Quadra Fire people were at the dealer last week giving a repair update but he wasn't included. But he does get info from the company when he calls; hence clean the optical eye and learned about the auger going both ways. This tech gets lots of business from the dealer so go figure!!New management but not new techs....

Love the stove when and if it works!!

smoke show said:
brab said:
My tech is very frustrated. Too fancy he says. Thanks ALL!!!
And yes the mt vernon will run the auger backwards to clear a jam.
I stand corrected.. Another reason I love this Forum. You learn something new about all the stove Makes and Models. What about the "photo eye". I just looked it up, and it says the AE uses a Thermocouple. Just like the Quads. Does it have an eye also?

There's a laser optical eye and a wheel with little holes on the auger???, according to the tech. He cleaned it but never saw anything on it.

Great....now I see how the forum works and found Smoke Show per your directions!!! Thanks ALL!!!

Scott, that seems to be a beginning.
Does he need to check or replace the wiring harness?

Like your tagline about your service. My guy too!!!

Thanks!!

Tell him to bring both a capacitor and a photo eye, replace the cap first, if it doesn't work then the photo eye.

Your tech was correct when he spouted off about too many gizmos. Every single additional part is a potential problem just waiting to bite when you are trying to keep warm.

You absolutely hit it on the head....stove is great when it's not too cold but produces error messages when frigid!!!

Thanks, will call him now. He hasn't been here since Saturday. Yes, he works to get his customers heat and travels a great deal it seems.

THANKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.