MTD 8 ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
I am on the search for a log splitter. There is a lot of good information I found, but would like to ask some other questions of my own. One other thing, money is an issue. Everybody wishes they had more. What I did find they all are pretty comparable.

Question?

MTD 8 Ton, Is this enough of a log splitter? The cheapest for the money I found on the market at home depot.

"Enough of a splitter" depends on what you want to do with it. It will probably beat swinging a maul, but the really nasty gnarley pieces are probably going to make it choke. Any of the cheaper splitters are probably going to have the same components on it. (Hey, they probably come from the same factory.) Find the best deal and go for it. It will probably be fine for your average pieces.

For not much more you can get teh husky 22 ton at tractor supply. Much more machine.

Hard Woods said:
For not much more you can get teh husky 22 ton at tractor supply. Much more machine.

What he said..in the same boat as you. Looking for a log splitter myself. So far the tractor supply 22 ton is the best bang for the buck I have found myself. Got to look at one yesterday and it looks like its made well...right around $1000 Check it out on there web site or look up speeco..the company that makes them for teactor supply co.

the 8 ton is the little 5 hp, single stage pump, 3 inch cylinder one? about 150 lbs.... I think about 600 or 700 USD around here
tiny, short wedge height and SLOW, but for stuff up to 16-18 inches in occasional use they work better than a maul to do a couple cords a year. To supply the needs of an OWB or full time wood burner, no way. But better than a small 110 vac electric, and portable and easily stored. Just realize the limitations. If you have the storage space, I'd go with a larger gas one, or a used one if price is the issue.

k

Status
Not open for further replies.