MTD Recalls Log Splitters Due to Amputation Hazard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
MTD Recalls Log Splitters Due to Amputation Hazard
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following products. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Log Splitters

Units: About 26,000 in the United States and 2,100 in Canada

Manufacturer: MTD Products Inc, of Cleveland, Ohio

Hazard: The control handle of the log splitter could fail to automatically return to the neutral position as it should and could fail to stop the splitting wedge from moving forward, posing a risk of amputation to consumers’ hands and fingers.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10062.html

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still looking for one.
Although, sometimes the operator has to take some responsibility.
Can't ''idiot proof" everything, what would lawyers do??

Dang it. My 1988 MTD Task Force/Duerr doesn't qualify. I wanted to get a new one. :mad:

Now, where did I put those finger?

Yep, mine's on the list. 24BF550B029. Unfortunately, I didn't see LL's post until I got back from the ER. :-/ Rick

Thanks for the " Heads Up".
Mine's part of the recall also.
Recall says to stop using it immediate. Yeah Right. I'll call them in March, or till I run out of fingers.

Thanks again.
Be Safe!

I have used an MTD splitter where the valve did that, it is annoying as hell but hardly offers any more opportunity to injure the operator than one that works well. However that's a moot point, MTD built a defective part and now they have to replace it - and I don't see a thing wrong with that. Of course to replace a bad valve you have to have a good valve on hand; maybe MTD could buy 26,000 valves from Huskee (Speedco) and use them for replacements.

Monkey Wrench said:
Thanks for the " Heads Up".
Mine's part of the recall also.
Recall says to stop using it immediate. Yeah Right. I'll call them in March, or till I run out of fingers.

Thanks again.
Be Safe!

Signature
Poulan Pro 3.30cu 54cc 22” Bar New Baby
Poulan Pro 3.30cu 54cc 22” Bar 2001 Old Faithful
Poulan base 33cc that willn’t die
Troy Built 27 ton Splitter
Kubota 37 HP 4X4 Tractor W/Cab
John Deere Gator XUV 4X4 Camo
John Deere X500 Tractor w/wood cart
Polaris 500 4X4 Sportsman Camo
Markham 60” Grapple
Wife who thinks I only paid $5,000. for all of these!!!!

Wow, you should write a book on how you got all of this and you'Re wife thinks you only paid 5000$ for all of this... Maybe you can make an other easy 5000$ out of it :)... I will eventually try the same thing..... But I will push it to try to add a barn and a 28x54 shop in there ....

Interesting. No Incidents/Injuries reported yet and they are recalling. Maybe is isn't the hazard they think it is?

Backwoods Savage said:
Interesting. No Incidents/Injuries reported yet and they are recalling. Maybe is isn't the hazard they think it is?

Could be, but every time I remember that 19-year-old girl burning to death in that Ford Pinto, long after the hazard was known, I wonder why someone didn't make that recall sooner. If knowledgable people can see where a person could cut off their hand or fingers because a product that is being manufactured is defective then I for one am all for making them fix it. It doesn't bother me a bit that a person would have to be dumb as a stump to hurt themselves with the thing - I think stupid people have a right to keep their fingers and hands just like all the rest of us. Its a crying shame, but everyone isn't as smart, agile, or good looking as you and me.

if you got one count your blessings you dont have to hold that handle. your getting the next round!

What a way for dis- memberment..............

i think mine falls within the range - i need to check the serial numbers - so what is the problem - if you release the handle it doesn't stop the wedge?

Dumb question time.
How is the valve supposed to work?
When splitting do you have to hold the lever toward the round till it splits, then;
to pull the ram back in to get ready for the next round it, pull the lever back it stays there unil the ram is all the way back in then kicks out?

bogydave said:
Dumb question time.
When splitting do you have to hold the lever toward the round till it splits, then;
to pull the ram back in to get ready for the next round it, pull the lever back it stays there unil the ram is all the way back in then kicks out?
"When splitting do you have to hold the lever toward the round till it splits" YES
"then; to pull the ram back in to get ready for the next round it, pull the lever back it stays there unil the ram is all the way back in then kicks out?" YES
If you are splitting and let go of the valve handle it should stop advancing, and the handle should return to the neutral position.

tfdchief said:
bogydave said:
Dumb question time.
"When splitting do you have to hold the lever toward the round till it splits" YES
"then; to pull the ram back in to get ready for the next round it, pull the lever back it stays there unil the ram is all the way back in then kicks out?" YES
If you are splitting and let go of the valve handle it should stop advancing, and the handle should return to the neutral position.

That's what I thought.
The control valve is probably the one thing not to scrimp on if I build one, (& the pump)

I have a home built splitter and I had a similar problem several years ago. The stud in the detent section broke. The valve was similar to the ones MTD uses.

The valve they use is manufactured by others so the problem may exist with other splittters.

Good looking out, mine is on the list. Of course I'll be using it this weekend.

bogydave said:
Dumb question time.

To extend the ram, you should need to pull the lever to the extend position, which is usually towards the round, (or towards the operator on machines where the valve travel is at right angles to the cylinder, which I've seen on some Horizontal Only machines) and hold it until you have finished the stroke - if you let go, the valve should instantly return to neutral and stop... This is a critical safety feature in the event that your hand or a piece of clothing gets caught....

Many, not all, machines will auto-retract where once you move the valve into the return position, it will stay there until the cylinder has returned all the way, and system pressure starts to build which will kick the valve back to neutral... Theory is that this is safe because there isn't any reason a person would have their hands on top of the wedge as it's coming back. I personally don't care for it, as when I'm splitting stuff that's shorter than the splitter travel (which is most of the time, since my "target length" is 18" and it's a 24" stroke splitter) I prefer to short cycle the cylinder so that I don't have to wait the extra few seconds for the wedge to come back down the empty distance on each split... On clean splitting wood, I might only move the cylinder 3-6" per cycle, which is a big time saver...

Gooserider

rdust said:
Good looking out, mine is on the list. Of course I'll be using it this weekend.

What is the manufacturers name on the valve being recalled. I believe MTD uses both Energy and Brand hydraulics valves. These same valves are used by some other brands of splitters as well as home builts.

Mine is a model 24AF500A000 and not subject to recall. It has an Energy valve.

called with the serial number and they stated i am not effeceted by this recall

Status
Not open for further replies.