MTD Used 20 Ton H/V Woodsplitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Picked up a used 20 ton MTD H/V woodsplitter, starts first pull but will need some paint come spring time. I split for about 3 hours with it today. We received about 10-12 inches of snow this last week with most of it coming on Friday.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0438.jpg
    100_0438.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 279
  • 100_0439.jpg
    100_0439.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 100_0440.jpg
    100_0440.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 100_0442.jpg
    100_0442.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 279
Sweet.
Nice pile of splits.
Yesterday I would be jealous, but just got a splitter too.

bogydave said:
Sweet.
Nice pile of splits.
Yesterday I would be jealous, but just got a splitter too.

I saw yours right before the wife dished out some ice cream, lets get it dirty.

zap

Zap, it is a twin to mine. Enjoy.

Nice unit I sure wish mine had the verticle option ..have fun with it.

Yes, vertical splitting to me is the only way to go. I just do not feel like lifting every piece of wood up. I split vertical and just roll the logs onto the splitter; no lifting. Why ruin your back before its time? Oh, mine is already ruined so I have no choice but to split vertically. Oh I could do it but it would really ruin my day and many days thereafter.

Did you read this Jake?

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, it is a twin to mine. Enjoy.

A twin, does that mean we are related. I think it cycles faster then the American CLS H/V that we have.

Zap

Zap, I've never timed the thing nor have I even been interested. It is fast enough for me and that is what matters. One makes any splitter faster by not letting the ram go all the way up.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, vertical splitting to me is the only way to go. I just do not feel like lifting every piece of wood up. I split vertical and just roll the logs onto the splitter; no lifting. Why ruin your back before its time? Oh, mine is already ruined so I have no choice but to split vertically. Oh I could do it but it would really ruin my day and many days thereafter.

Did you read this Jake?

Hehheh . . . I always read your posts Dennis . . . and agree with most of them . . . except for the whole splitting vertical fetish you have. ;) :)

I guess I'm pretty fortunate to have a good back . . . plus I'm still relatively young . . . and my wife is constantly reminding me to lift with my legs instead of my back . . . and so for now . . . I really do prefer to split horizontally . . . but being able to go vertical from time to time is convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.