Mulberry Massacre

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
Mostly finished dismembering the mulberry tree that uprooted (from a recent wet snowfall) in our backyard and fell towards the house (held up by our retaining wall). The bright yellow sawdust on the white snow makes the "after" shot seem sort of gruesome, like a crime-scene or something.

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 464
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 459
  • tree3.jpg
    tree3.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 469
  • tree4.jpg
    tree4.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 496
That tree practically volunteered to go on the woodpile.

DiscoInferno said:
Mostly finished dismembering the mulberry tree that uprooted (from a recent wet snowfall) in our backyard and fell towards the house (held up by our retaining wall). The bright yellow sawdust on the white snow makes the "after" shot seem sort of gruesome, like a crime-scene or something.

Looks like a good size tree, how does Mulberry burn?

Zap

zapny said:
DiscoInferno said:

Looks like a good size tree, how does Mulberry burn?

Zap

Its excellent,one of the best fuels. About the same density as Red/Black Oak,a bit less than White/Bur Oak or Sugar Maple.

I'd say a little less dense than red oak, since I'm currently burning some of both. (But mulberry dries faster.) It can throw lots of sparks, which is fun to watch but not so fun to reload. It's sort of hedge-light, as I understand it.

It's a somewhat unique looking wood, if I had a milling setup I would saw some boards out of the remaining trunk as it's pretty straight for mulberry.

DiscoInferno said:
I'd say a little less dense than red oak, since I'm currently burning some of both. (But mulberry dries faster.) It can throw lots of sparks, which is fun to watch but not so fun to reload. It's sort of hedge-light, as I understand it.

It's a somewhat unique looking wood, if I had a milling setup I would saw some boards out of the remaining trunk as it's pretty straight for mulberry.

Like other woods,it'll vary a bit according to where it grows,amount of sunlight,moisture & soil types.Our Red/Black Oak around here is a bit less than average because of the short growing seasons & narrower rings than the same wood from other areas.Mulberry is a great wood for various projects,dries fairly evenly not as much checking/warping as other native hardwoods.When you find some thats large/clear & straight,its pretty special.I've been using it as fuel & various projects for 30 yrs now.Excellent for woodturning,small desk items,small furniture.Cuts cleanly & is very stable.

It's great wood. Like Disco said, it does throw some entertaining sparks.

Im working on one just like that. I love mulberry.

Mulberry burned really well for me. Thought it smelled very good too, kinda sweet. I ended up keeping a few splits to see if I could BBQ with it.

I cut up a huge Mulberry a couple years ago and find it burns great. Splits nice and has a nice smell. HOWEVER it seems to attract "Stink Bugs" we have more of the critters in the house after bringing a load of mulberry in than with anyother type. And all of our wood is stacked near each other.

I remember when I was younger, we had a huge oak in our back yard. This was Mississippi, so we weren't used to freezing ice storms, so we were all terrified when, after a particularly strong ice storm, these giant 100 year old branches began to explode.

Hankjones said:
Mulberry burned really well for me. Thought it smelled very good too, kinda sweet. I ended up keeping a few splits to see if I could BBQ with it.

Oh you can BBQ with it! Its great for BBQing but it seems no one really knows that......

dannynelson77 said:
Hankjones said:

Oh you can BBQ with it! Its great for BBQing but it seems no one really knows that......

Yup.Its a very underrated wood for that.Great for the smoker & BBQ grill.Similar mild flavor to Apple,works good to extend my limited Apple supply.Poultry & Beef is especially tasty.

We're already overrun by stinkbugs, especially in the winter when they come inside for warmth. I hadn't noticed they had a firewood preference, but they eat fruit (cause damage to orchards) and we have pear trees in the front yard and mulberry and cherry in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.