Must Have a Fawn Around

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is the same deer that wanted to stomp our cat about one week ago, this time she came out of the woods at me thank god she stopped.

The fawn has to be in the area she is real aggressive.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1050.jpg
    100_1050.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 422
We've got a fawn that likes to come out and play every time I mow the lawn. If I had a little land and no neighbors, that game would not be repeated on a weekly basis. (my apologies to the tick bag lovin community)

The fawns are usually laying down, resting/hiding.
Dad was thinning some crowded fir with his Stihl a few weeks ago when a fawn jumped up and ran off.
It was only 5' from him! And the saw was running! I bet the fawn's heart was running, too!
He never saw it until it ran. It was curled up at the base of a 6" fir.
Dad didn't see the mother. Good thing....

maplewood said:
The fawns are usually laying down, resting/hiding.
Dad was thinning some crowded fir with his Stihl a few weeks ago when a fawn jumped up and ran off.
It was only 5' from him! And the saw was running! I bet the fawn's heart was running, too!
He never saw it until it ran. It was curled up at the base of a 6" fir.
Dad didn't see the mother. Good thing....

I have some Cherry down (in that area) that I'm cutting this fall, that is the spot that has plenty of good hiding spots.

zap

I'm guessing this is why Dennis wrote that the cutting is done on his property until late fall. Not a bad plan for those of us that can afford it.

Uper said:
I'm guessing this is why Dennis wrote that the cutting is done on his property until late fall. Not a bad plan for those of us that can afford it.

Uper I was by our house checking on the hard maple stacks (see how it's drying) and she walked out of the woods at me, when I stood up thats when she stopped and kept stomping and had that look of I'll run your arse over if you don't leave. (I left)

zap

That stomping, snorting and snarling experience is really bizarre especially when you approach them and they don't move.

SolarAndWood said:
That stomping, snorting and snarling experience is really bizarre especially when you approach them and they don't move.

I walked slowly away to the west and she started eating again, I think she was eating some small beech tree leaves.

zap

I get the whole herd making there move up the hill toward the garden in the moonlight. They are pretty aggressive unless the dog is out with me.

My son Jake (7 years old) and I got to see a fawn being born behind our home in a grassy area right alongside a wood line. The doe came out of the woods looking a little wobbly and just made it to the grassy area. Seemed like a second later the fawn was born. The doe came around to the fawn, checked it out for a bit, looked like she was whispering in the fawns ear, then doe went off into the woods. After about 5 minutes we walked up to around 10 feet away from the fawn then left it be. We see the doe and fawn together these days.

Now, a month has gone by and a couple of times when my son has been outside playing the fawn runs out of the woods to watch my son. My son stops playing and the fawn runs back into the woods, and then the fawn comes back out. This back and forth goes on for sometimes 10-15 minutes. It is really cool to watch and see how we and nature really do interact sometimes.

bsticks

Zap. Try the head bob trick and see what happens. Also, start talking to the deer.

As I understand it the young deer do not move. They stay exactly where momma tells them to. Some around here have even been ran over by farmers cutting hay. Know a guy personally that did it, he felt terrible. They apparently have no sent so the coyotes can not find them as long as they stay still in the long grass or underbrush. Could be complete BS about the sent thing, but that's what I have been told.

You are partially correct about the fawns. However, by this time of the year the fawns stay with the mother and sometimes even start to roam a bit on their own. What you've read about the fawns and no scent is correct but only for a very short time.

Yes, we've got some when cutting hay but only the first cutting. By the time the second cutting is ready there is not much worry about them.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap. Try the head bob trick and see what happens. Also, start talking to the deer.

Last time I tried the head bob trick I was running through the park and saw two trees 1 real and 1 fake(very drunk) did the head fake and cut to the right, I woke up sometime later realizing I smacked the real tree.

I just love cutting trees.

zap

Sometimes my wife wishes I had no scent . . . especially after working outside cutting wood. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.