Muzzleloader Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loon

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2010
ont canada
getting ready to head back to the camp for our season :cheese:

do you guys over in the states have a special season for them??

the wood in the background is from that large limb that fell on the house in the summer...

loon

DSC08772-1.jpg

I thought I was going to see a deer. In ohio shot gun season starts monday. Muzzel loader followes in a few weeks I believe. Here it is a state to state thing and roles can vary from county to county within the state.
We are actualy allowed four dear this year in our county.

woodsmaster said:
I thought I was going to see a deer. In ohio shot gun season starts monday. Muzzel loader followes in a few weeks I believe. Here it is a state to state thing and roles can vary from county to county within the state.

Polygamist!!

woodsmaster said:

hopefully by next week :)

shotgun/muzz open tomorrow here, till next sunday...

loon

Loon, MI too does have muzzle loader season in early December. It usually starts about a week after regular rifle season which ends on Nov. 30. By that time I am cutting firewood and the deer have been thinned out enough anyway. Still there are many folks who still hunt then.

We have 2 Muzz seasons in NY. One week before gun season in the North. Then One week at the end of the season in the south. Good luck.

Geez..........that's one HECK of a way to light a fire!!!! Why not just use a MATCH?! (LOL)

I'm kinda surprised to see a more contemporary version of a muzzle loader. If "I" were going to go that route, I think I'd like to own a model that was "Revolutionary War" style. Do it like THEY did, sorta thing, ya know.

-Soupy1957

Panhandler said:
woodsmaster said:

Polygamist!!

I don't get it ? I only have one wife.

sounds like you guys have some fun for sure ;-) wish we had better seasons/tags over here!

soupy, ya know what those things are worth? :bug: :cheese:

have fun everybody thats getting out ;-)

loon

Here in Maine muzzleloaders hunt from November 29-December 4th . . . select WMDs (assuming we're talking about Wildlife Management Districts and not Weapons of Mass Destruction here) allow muzzleloaders to hunt from December 6-December 11th.

soupy1957 said:
Geez..........that's one HECK of a way to light a fire!!!! Why not just use a MATCH?! (LOL)

I'm kinda surprised to see a more contemporary version of a muzzle loader. If "I" were going to go that route, I think I'd like to own a model that was "Revolutionary War" style. Do it like THEY did, sorta thing, ya know.

I have a Hawken style (cap) rifle with a patched round ball barrel. Shot a doe with it back when I had time to hunt (I'm getting the itch this year)

There are much more modern looking muzzleloaders than that. It's getting tough to tell the difference with a brief look.

Here in WA, you can not use scopes on the muzzleloaders. They don't make you wear frilly leather with the streamers though.

went out to help out a couple guys at the range yesterday and well!!! %-P

DSC08789.gif

seen stars and when i got home my wife just called me a dumbass :cheese:

wasnt even my gun :coolsmile:

terry

loon said:

DSC08789.gif

terry

They shot you right between the eyes? ;) :)

HehHeh . . . of course I'm kidding . . . I realized they didn't shoot you.

the one fella thought he might be flinching so i had a go at it "ONCE" %-P ended up that the place he bought it installed the scope as far back as possible?? and they sure dont move when ya pull the trigger :cheese:

did it along time ago with a 30-06 and i guess i didnt learn to check the scope first from that fun? :)

it coulda used a few stitches but the wait time at the hospitals over here is brutal,and with my ugly mug i really dont care about scars :p

Terry

We had our start with bow season, then muzzle loader a few weeks ago. Shotgun and rifle just started on Saturday, always the 1st weekend after Thanksgiving.
I have not been out. But my neighbor has shot 3 does so far, 2 with bow and 1 muzzle. All nice size

good for him Ed!!

was supposed to leave an hour ago but they are calling for 2 days of big rain and bad wind :roll:

so we are gonna wait till noon tomorrow...

sunny and getting colder all the way through Sunday :)

loon

loon said:

terry

Loon - seen that once before when a friend accidentaly double loaded his muzzleloader, that is 150 gr of powder, sabot, 150 more grains of powder, and another sabot. It nailed him hard and drew blood... big ol blast of flames out the barrel, and surprisingly both rounds hit the target, one a few inches low and one about 6" high.

I have Knight Elite 50 cal in stainless/realtree that is a sweet ml too 3-9x40 Nikon. Wont be carrying it this year, think I am all done with 3 deer down.

Soupy - I know what you mean about the traditional blackpowder riffle. I think the difference is wanting to shoot something traditional versus wanting something more effective to increase your deer taking capability - I'd love to shoot traditional but having a high misfire rate, terrible ballistics, and very limited range with a traditional muzzleloader & blackpowder isnt something I prefer. Now if I had a couple already in the freezer and wanted more of a challenge, then maybe. For me archery is my favorite hunting season, and I do enjoy the extra challenge... but I do hunt with a modern compound bow and not a traditional recurve (yet).

Seems most of the muzzleloaders, bowhunters, and shotgun "alternative" hunters out here do it for the extended seasons, more open areas, and ability to shoot does and not for the added challenge, historic reenactment, or whatever else drives the alternative guys.

Nothing faster and cleaner than a modern firearm, trouble is the state game department gives us the worst areas, and shortest season way before the rut.

Loon, good luck with the smoke pole. I shot a spike with the bow on Thanksgiving morning. Having allot of problems with my computer so I'm not on much. I'll get a pic up soon. Hope to see you guys get some big ones!

I think it used to be called "primitive firearms season" thats why until recently you couldn't use an in-line and it had to be a smoke pole and round ball with no break at the breach. In the past few years, they have slowly allowed in line models...scopes...powder pellets, sabot rounds. Weapons are now to the point of easily reaching in excess of 100 yards. I think the late muzzle loading season in the southern tier of N.Y. runs in conjunction with bow season...i could be mistaken. I was just up in the Berkshiers for part of rifle season, might go back up for black powder will have to wait and see.

cass

Round ball? Meaning some of the modem muzzleloaders are still smoothbores? I had no idea - though all modern muzzleloader hunting guns were rifled and shot Minie ball style ammo. ...

Interesting. hunting with round ball must be a a real challange. How close do you have to be to guarantee a hit?

You can still use a round patched ball with rifled bbl. I used to use a reproduction hawkens made by CVA. At the time all you could use was round ball and open sights. As deer became more of a nuisince they have loosened up on the "primitivness" of the weapon. Now I've got an in-line scoped rifle with a saboted round that will hold 2" at 100 yards. Since we are tripping over deer here, the intent is more to reduce the heard than to make it hard on the hunter. We get 4 tags for archery, one each for shotgun and muzzle loader state land, and another 2 each for private land. Total= 10. Then there are areas that will give you two extra tags. Mainly down in the ritzy areas that have gatten tired of the deer eating their bushes. In fact in those areas you can bait, use crossbows and claymore mines. (they must be real pissed off!)

Status
Not open for further replies.