My 064 build VIDEO added!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbound

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2008
mid south tn
I just thought I don't see a lot of this on this site so I would post some pic's of the old 064 a friend gave me....

DSC03390.jpg

I know pretty right???

I got lots of offers for it on other sites so I thought it may be worth fixing up...Then the tear down and clean up began...

DSC03412.jpg

DSC03421.jpg

DSC03419.jpg

Dig the gaskets..O and did I forget to mention that this was a runner????

Ok no the wife was not happy...

DSC03439.jpg

But it did clean up nice..

DSC03444.jpg

I sent out the muffler to be modded...Man did great work and did not charge me a dime....

GEDC2044-1.jpg

GEDC2049.jpg

I have to go check the fire I will try to post more later....

Thanks for looking!!!

Ok I'm back...

Got lucky and won a 066 OEM P&C on ebay...So I went ahead and ordered a set of Caber F-Cast rings...

DSC03519.jpg

DSC03510.jpg

DSC03517.jpg

Now I was prepared to have to make this fit..Open the case for the skirt and open the holes for the head bolts , BUT to my surprise the piston fit just fine..Ok cool lets see how far off the head bolts are wait they line up too????????????

DSC03509.jpg

DSC03503.jpg

Yup for some reason it fit with no modification at all...

Ok so for parts thus far...

STIHL 064
Replaced parts list..........
part # 3591220 oil cap sealer ring
part # 11227909905 annular buffer
part # 11220292301 cylinder gasket
part # UPARTS muffler screen
part # 3591230 gas cap sealer ring
part # 11227909102 hand guard kit
part # 11251490601 exhaust gasket
part # 90223411050 spline screws
part # 11173505800 tank vent
part # 11271418600 impulse line
part # 3503504 pickup body (fuel filter)
part # 11221903400 elastostart assembly
part # 1124953500 rewind starter pawl spring
part # 11241957200 pawl (X2)
part # 11240071010 oil line kit
part # 90754784155 spline screw (replacemant for top cover)
part # 6421216 stihl 8 tooth rim
part # 11227909910 annular buffer
part # 7545 bosch ws7f (plug)
part # 1128209400 compression release
part # 00001 201654 air filter
part # CRF 5412 caber f-cast rings
part # 54zn12 mahle piston and cylinder 54mm
part # 1226567700 chain catcher
part # 00004050600 plug wire
part # 11224402210 ground wire
part # 11281291100 carb gasket
part # 11223510901 tank guard
part # 11221412201 manifold boot
stihl 064 plastic name tag
stihl starter rewind plastic tag
after market pnw sproket cover with chip guard

Ok so the 066 has a hole for a decomp valve and I want to use it but the top cover has no hole..After finding out that the 066 top cover is wider and wont fit right I decided to make a shroud for it myself...

DSC03591.jpg

Not my best but it works just fine..

Put it together and tried to set the carb and found out there was a hole in the manifold boot..got a new one today and now she runs sweet..Still need to dial in the carb but it is real close...

DSC03619.jpg

DSC03617.jpg

DSC03616.jpg

DSC03614.jpg

I'm still not done but that's where I'm at today...

Looking for a 066 factory type wrap bar..Also want to get a 9 pin rim...After that I'll see what else I get into...

So for this free running 064 I'm now real close to $400 LOL!

Thanks for looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats an Awesome JOB! Brought that one from the dead..

Really nice job! Put a vid up on youtube so we can hear it!

...in for a penny in for a pound.

Hey props to you to resurrecting that saw ...should last you a lifetime. Nice touch with that decomp valve too.

Thanks folks!!!!

Yeah a vid on the tube would be sweet but I have no way of making one...

The muffler mod surprised me with a high pitch tone rather then a low deep tone.... My left ear rang for awhile last night....

Lots of trouble today..Should have never got started...

I went and installed a new unused Stihl E bar 20"..Every time I snugged up the bar nuts the chain would stop turning...The new after market sprocket cover seems to be just a touch taller where it contacts the bar and it pinches the rails closed...NICE!!!!! So I threw on a old beat up Stihl ES bar and it spins freely...

Ok so now I'm ready to set the carb..Couple of pulls she's up and running..The chain is spinning out of control so I go for the idle screw..I can hear the saw idle changing as I adjust the screw but the chain never stops....About this time I notice fuel allover the place..It's leaking out the tank vent???
Loosen the fuel cap and it stops tighten it back down it is starts.....

The only pick I took today...

DSC03624.jpg

Going to the dealer for new clutch springs in the am. That should stop the chain and I can get to tuning the carb..I just hope the have a answer for the tank vent leaking......

Love to see a video of that beast cutting?

Add a few more parts to the list....

part # 00009970911 clutch spring (X3)

part # 11103531600 valve

I'm glad I bought two of the one way tank valves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway I wont get to try it till later so more to come....

When my friend got this saw it had a bad piston in it...He gave it to me with a box of parts for the saw...

DSC03626.jpg

DSC03627.jpg

DSC03629.jpg

DSC03630.jpg

He said that they honed the cylinder and threw in a new piston and ring set....

Then only ran the saw a few times after that....The piston I took out looks like it had been run more then a few times.....

southbound said:
When my friend got this saw it had a bad piston in it...He gave it to me with a box of parts for the saw...

DSC03626.jpg

DSC03627.jpg

DSC03629.jpg

DSC03630.jpg

He said that they honed the cylinder and threw in a new piston and ring set....

Then only ran the saw a few times after that....The piston I took out looks like it had been run more then a few times.....

looks like it had been ran a few decades

Loggers around here are real hard on there stuff...My FIL is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run it till it stops then patch it anyway you can then run it till it stops....No one ever cleans there gear.Been at the stihl shop so much lately seeing what folks bring in is almost scary... You know if you clean it once and awhile it will last for 30 years or so right?????

southbound said:
Loggers around here are real hard on there stuff...My FIL is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run it till it stops then patch it anyway you can then run it till it stops....No one ever cleans there gear.Been at the stihl shop so much lately seeing what folks bring in is almost scary... You know if you clean it once and awhile it will last for 30 years or so right?????

What are you running for a second saw I see in your pics?

My BIL has a ported MS660.......I like to borrow it now and then.
My buddy down the street runs a MS460 and a Husky 2130.

WoodButcher

In that pic it is my favorite saw the MS 290...I got it new and never had any trouble out of it.Did the muffler mod and re-tuned the carb..GREAT saw...O it has a .325 .63 20" bar....

Here is what I had before I started the 064 build...................

DSC03460-1.jpg

DSC03459.jpg

DSC03461.jpg

My 038 av metal tank all stock. I haven't had it long enough for it to prove it's self yet..... Man do I miss that 031..It was my first build and it came out sweet..I had $1.04 in it..

So I set the carb to the factory settings this morning and headed to the stihl dealer to have them try and set it...H and L 1.5 turns out and the idle all the way in....Well it took all of two min and he had it set...

Well it rained all day so no cutting....I want to wait now till the 9 pin rim shows up.As soon as it does I will need to get a chain made up to fit.I'm betting on a 74 dl........

Anyway just as I was about to give up it seems to be working out for me now.....

The 9 pin rim came in today so I ran down to get a chain fitted...Forgot it is Wed and the shop closes at noon.....I guess I will never learn because it is the third week in a row I ran out there on a Wed and it be closed..........

Southbound, you up and runnin yet? I hope it turns out to be a real winner. Putting the parts in the dishwasher was priceless!

Yes but I'm sick so I haven't messed with it much today...

74DL Oregon chain da##it !!! What stihl dealer doesn't carry stihl chain on a roll???

Anyway with the 9 pin the chain if fast..He reset the carb today with me holding the saw.He gave me a nod and told me to open it up he went to tuning wow is all I can say..The chain is really moving on this thing now..

I applied a decal today..I am still hoping to get a USA bar from Madsen's.......

Anyone ever have the dealer tell you to stop messing with a saw and put it in some wood??????

southbound said:
What stihl dealer doesn't carry stihl chain on a roll????
I bought the next size up and had him spin off a few links.

You guys are FAR too nice to equipment.

I've got a craftsman chainsaw here I mentioned buying a blade for cost me $10 on ebay. It was listed as "not running". I put a metric ton of seafoam in there, dumped it out after letting it sit for a day and found out it needed an o-ring. I went into the junk box, found one which was "close enough", tossed it in there and it runs fine although it does blow oil.

Then again it's a chainsaw, so who cares? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.