My 15 minutes of fame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a cool restaurant and good pr if nothing else. Before we elected to put trusses over our flat roof, we considered a green roof/rooftop garden arrangement.

Whoo hoo....way to go....looks like a cool project.
Way to smile for that camera too :)

What a neat job. I like seeing this happening too. Thanks for posting. Philly has some great restaurants. I love eating there.

Seattle has been aggressively installing complete green roofs with city projects, including Seattle City Hall and the Ballard Library being designed with living roofs. It's even part fo the building code.
http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/GreenBuilding/OurProgram/Resources/TechnicalBriefs/DPDS_009485.asp

Here's the latest restaurant to install a rooftop garden.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw/2010203442_pacificplife15.html

Its fun. The real estate market sucks, as we all know, so I started doing this last fall, mostly as a learning opportunity but still making a couple bucks a week. She asked if I could come back this spring and we've been installing 3 days a week so far. It pretty much turned into a full time job working 3 12hr days haha. Its a hell of a lot less stressful than real estate plus I feel great, a lot more energy.

Has she had to do any load analysis on the rooftop installations?

BeGreen said:
Has she had to do any load analysis on the rooftop installations?

We just design and install. Its up to the owner to get a roofer out there and protect the roof. Everything is done before we come in and start planting.

Does your design/installation work involve the planters themselves (the "hardware")? Making them watertight? And the watering/irrigation? Cool stuff! Rick

fossil said:
Does your design/installation work involve the planters themselves (the "hardware")? Making them watertight? And the watering/irrigation? Cool stuff! Rick

We help the client pick out planters if needed. You dont want planters watertight.....soggy soil is bad. We make sure the planters drain well. We do some irrigation work if needed.

Well, yeah, of course...I know that much, anyway. Bad choice of words on my part. The planters need to drain, and that drainage needs to be collected and directed to someplace off the roof. So it's up to the owners to get that all in place (according to your design guidance), and then you come in & plant...am I beginning to understand? Rick

You shoulda scratched your nuts a few times while the camera was rolling.
;)

fossil said:
Well, yeah, of course...I know that much, anyway. Bad choice of words on my part. The planters need to drain, and that drainage needs to be collected and directed to someplace off the roof. So it's up to the owners to get that all in place (according to your design guidance), and then you come in & plant...am I beginning to understand? Rick

All the roofs we've worked on have been flat with a slight pitch into one corner and there is a drain in the corner. the owners have a roofer install a waterproof membrane on the surface and make sure the water drains correctly before we get there.

Jags said:
Hey - that was only 2 min. and 10 seconds. You got gypped.

I think the idea of roof top gardens is awesome.

I dont know whether the River Cottage series has crossed the pond yet but we were filmed for our Landshare project for 3 days and I think the final tape is approx 45 seconds but then they keep doing a remix for later programmes

renewablejohn said:
Jags said:
Hey - that was only 2 min. and 10 seconds. You got gypped.

I think the idea of roof top gardens is awesome.

I dont know whether the River Cottage series has crossed the pond yet but we were filmed for our Landshare project for 3 days and I think the final tape is approx 45 seconds but then they keep doing a remix for later programmes

John, is roof top gardens a big thing over there? It seems to be a "new" and upcoming trend here, but I know your city dwellers over there are usually a resourceful bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.