My 3y/o splitting wood video! (log splitter not maul!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Now before you crucify me. I hand selected straight grain pieces and held a safety meeting with her. Plus she wouldn't stop crying until I let her "pull the lever!" I believe in teaching kids how to, not to be scared of things. Normally this is my 7y/o's job but he was in school so she had to step up and help, with a family of 6 everyone has to pitch in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSPrA7rAOQ8

Looks like she has it under control to me :)

Awesome when kids get to help! This is MMAUL boy in action!

Attachments

• zzzaaaaa.jpg
    zzzaaaaa.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 436
Glad I'm not the only one! You'll be surprised at what they can if you give them some instruction and the chance to prove it.

ckarotka said:
Glad I'm not the only one! You'll be surprised at what they can if you give them some instruction and the chance to prove it.

Yea its Awesome just to watch the little one's give it there all!

ckarotka said:

I agree. If you take time to teach praise them when they do good it will build their self confidence. Show them work can be fun. And setup good habits that will last them a lifetime. And its just rewarding working with them.

I have had my nephew running the splitter since he was 4. I taught him to wait until I nodded before he engaged the ram since one of my big fears is getting my fingers smashed or cut off even when I am running it myself. I had to take him off it for two years because he was playing with it and would not pay attention. But I was over my Sisters house last nite and told him if he got all his homework done I would pick him and his sister up and they could split wood saturday.

Billy

Have both my kids (9 & 8) help me and have since they were young. I know I'm from Gen X but there are a lot of things I do like my parents and theirs. My boy has his own .22 single shot. Knows how to handle, load, unload, etc. I keep locked up but I have other guns around too. He just isn't curious like he probably would be if everything was one big secret and I never exposed him to some of these things we get so scared of today.

It seems to me that when we can be responsible adults and teach our kids well and not shelter them from things, they become way more adjusted and well rounded. I've been known to let the boy slip over and "drive" the car down our country roads a little before. All good.

Awesome. Had my 8 and 5 year old son and daughter stacking with me last week (getting 5 cord in the barn). Even though they might not get the stack how I like to see it, I let them just do it - they'll learn and they loved working wood with Dad and feeling like they helped with a big, important job. Love it! Cheers!

Attachments

• camsm.jpg
    camsm.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 344
Great pictures (and video) guys! I can't wait until my son can help....he's 15 months so there is a couple more winters of processing wood without him.. :)

My five year old loves helping me split. Wood fully split, thumb up, or detached thumb (so far so good on that one) and she pushes the lever up. Thumb down and she pushes the lever down. She's remarkably reliable. The only problem I have is she likes to push the lever 3/4 of the way down instead of all the way down.

With a good station on the worktunes she'll drive the splitter for almost an hour before she gets bored...

Love the video and I do think it is great to get the kids to help. I love they way she bears down on the lever as it goes through the wood, giving it that extra umph.

I always took my kids to the woods. They helped me on the weekends whatever I was doing. Many times I could have done it a lot faster without their help, but that was not the point. The bonding is priceless. and they learn how to work, be mechanical, do for themselves. They are grown now and are very self sufficient and resourceful, I believe because they were raised that way. So, I say good for all of you who take the time with your kids. Child labor.....for get it, they love every minute of it and they are learning so much.

Very cool. My three year old girl like to help me stack wood, she collects all the "baby wood" ( kindling scraps) and puts them in her bucket for me. Gotta start them early lol.

Awesome! Now you just need to teach her how to short stroke the splitter! :lol:

So many Americans today have forgotten that there is a risk if you "do" and a risk if you "don't".

If you always err on the side of "never let your kids near anything dangerous" there is a danger in that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.