My amazing new budget splitter !! Did I mention AMAZING!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

I just received my new splitter -
I paid 119 + 19.99 (optional) unconditional replacement if damaged for 24 months.
It was packed very well with wood sides in the box to prevent damage while shipping.

Manually working the jack handles of this hydraulic splitter generates up to 10 tons of ramming force, enough to split logs as long as 18" and as thick as 6-1/2" in diameter (depending on wood density).
Minimum log length: 13-1/2"
Maximum log size: 18" L, 6-1/2" in diameter
Ram stroke: 8-1/16"
Splitting wedge size: 4" L x 3-3/4" W x 4" H
Overweight Item subject to $14.95 additional Freight Charge
Overall dimensions: 41-1/8" L x 8-1/8" W x 9-3/4" H

I used a ash stump approximately 14" for this review but I split a 24" stump without any problem as well. This is being used to split the stump in half then I use my Ryobi 4 ton electric to do the rest. This greyhound is from Harbor Freight Tools and only cost 119 dollars US, it is ridiculously easy to use and very powerful. It is actually pretty fast for being a bottle jack one handle is fast and one slow all you do is start with slow speed until you hear it crack then use fast to finish off the log or stump. The splitter is very powerful I am in love ;-) I should also mention it is really fun to use lol

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_20111223_121728.jpg
    IMG_20111223_121728.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,159
  • IMG_20111223_121804.jpg
    IMG_20111223_121804.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,127
  • IMG_20111223_121941.jpg
    IMG_20111223_121941.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,136
  • IMG_20111223_122210.jpg
    IMG_20111223_122210.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,138
  • IMG_20111223_122311.jpg
    IMG_20111223_122311.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,119
  • IMG_20111223_122317.jpg
    IMG_20111223_122317.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_20111223_122427.jpg
    IMG_20111223_122427.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,130
Try some elm. I can split most of my wood by hand but not elm.

I do not have any elm at the moment but I will try some and put pictures up as soon as I get some. I have ash, maple and a little oak at he moment.

Pete

Pete also has some very nice wood sheds that he built! I stopped and saw his new stove too and it is a dandy! I doubt he will be freezing this winter. Good for you Pete.

Thanks Dennis for all the help! How is your back doing? I would be happy to help you split if you need help this winter! I put an un-split log in the new stove and there wasn't even smoke it just lit and burned clean, I think this stove makes the old one look like junk. I just finished blasting through a bunch of those ash stumps with this splitter it works great and saves the back.

Merry Christmas everyone :)
Pete

Doing better today Pete, thank you. We won't worry about the splitting because we have enough already split and stacked for this winter and the next 3 or 4. That is what makes being ahead so nice is that even though we are slowed, we still have plenty of wood ready to go. But thank you for the offer.

I am glad your feeling better have a Merry Christmas.

Pete

I'm assuming there's a reason you bought that, i.e. noise, no power where you're at, political statement, etc.? If I had to use that, I'd shoot myself.

S

Thinkxingu
Don't underestimate it ! This is really a good tool in the right circumstances I really don't see the point in spending on a big gas splitter. My electric 4 ton Ryobi can handle just about anything I throw at it with the exception of large stumps so I picked this up for the big stumps. I am not knocking large splitters I wouldn't mind one but why when my Ryobi goes way faster! This splitter is actually quite fast if you use it properly thats the reason for the fast handle. Once a large stump is split in half The Ryobi literally blasts through it like butter its just the initial split that can bog it down. I don't think this is for everybody however if you use it as your only splitter you probably would shoot yourself lol.

Merry Christmas
Pete

I hear ya, Pete--I think I was just thinking that if you put the Ryobi money ($300?) and this money ($140) you're not that far off from a splitter that would allow you to split in one shot, as opposed to putting the round in one and then another. I was more wondering if you were looking for noise- or fuel-free for some reason.

Merry Christmas right back at ya!

S

Yes I am actually looking for fuel free so I can lift stumps in the field as well. I see your point on the Ryobi and 10 ton added together as well I actually paid 120 I believe for the Rypbi about 5 years ago because it was a refurbished spitter and I waved a wad of cash in front of the Home Depot manager :lol: . All he saw was 10's and 5's but it looked like more I would definitely pay full price for a new one though the portability and compact size are the nicest aspects of that splitter. I think someday I will invest in a super splitter and possibly sell wood but thats a long way off.

Merry Christmas back at ya :lol:
Pete

Now you need to rig up a foot lever and you'll really be chugging along.

Hogwildz that is a great idea ! To the drawing board I go :)
Thanks my man
Pete

I am in love with this splitter but now all I can think about is changing the 10 ton bottle for a 20 ton or 30 ton air bottle jack and having my buddy reinforce the wedge. What do you guys think would that be safe?
Pete

Given the above comments, I'm a little nervous about admitting that my only splitter has `Fiskars' on the handle, but I have to admit that this had me intrigued. Didn't know anyone made such a gizmo. (Pity that it's too late to buy my kids one for Christmas!)

How strong would you say someone needs to be to work such a fine device? The Fiskars does the job a good percentage of the time, but there are those stubborn ones that make splitting more like work.

Most importantly, can you split on the vertical while sitting on a milk crate?

Hogwildz said:
I was thinking to rig it up to an exercycle might speed up the cycle time, plus you could split sitting down. I wouldn't waste my time trying to split stringy Elm on it though. That stuff needs a ram that can go all the way through the wood.

LLigetfa said:
Hogwildz said:
I was thinking to rig it up to an exercycle might speed up the cycle time, plus you could split sitting down. I wouldn't waste my time trying to split stringy Elm on it though. That stuff needs a ram that can go all the way through the wood.

LMAO on the excercycle! Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.
Or he could just import a Russian bride and let her have at it, while he sits in front of the fire and drinks a few beers!

Snowleapord it is very easy to use you dont need a lot of strength for it . I would not try verticle it is made to lay flat and have you stand while pumping the handles as it is shown in the pictures above. I do however think with a little modification you could acheive verticle but I wont bother with that it is to easy to use already. One consideration I am having is adding a twenty ton bottle in place of the ten ton! The other major advantage to this splitter Is that if you are alone in the field you can bust and move big stumps without power.

Pete

You realize if you double the tonnage you will likely half the speed. You will have to pump twice as fast to maintain current speed. There is no free lunch.

I had one of those gave it up for a gas rig. I don't think you can lay most bottle jacks on their sides there is some kind of valve that won't close on the side.

Yes i do realize that that is the reason I am looking for a two speed high low. I am really only busting stumps in half my 4 ton electric takes it from there without any issue and I can process an a large amount fast with my 4 ton electric.

Pete

Looks pretty cool. I have no need for a big gas splitter as my wood comes split, but I finish all the wood with an axe as I have a different idea of what the ideal split size is versus the guy I buy from. This thing would come in handy for some of the knotty pieces I can't get with an axe.

I am a member of the very prestigious Harbor Freight "Insider's Club" :) and they have a 10 ton manual splitter for 89$.

Jack Straw if you dont mind how much is the insiders membership I shop there all the time !
Merry Christmas
Pete

20$

But you have to pass the background check :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.