my basement is very hot... because i added insulation???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
i demoed my basement and added insulation...it didn't have any on the walls ... now its hot! like 70 degrees! the rest os the house is in the 60s usually my basement is the coolest...humidity is 40 percent ....is this normal??

Need more information: what is the outside temperature, are you heating, say with a stove in the basement? What R value did you add to your walls. What is the humidity in the outside air...

If I run my basement stove , the basement is the warmest "room" in the house, and I don't have insulation on the walls or floor. In the winter the humidity would be low as well, especially low if the temperature is up.

Is your basement also your mechanical room with boiler, laundry, HVAC, etc? Those buggers give off heat too. Even a fridge or freezer dumps heat into the room.

70 is not hot.

Insulating the basement is my summer's project this year. Glad to hear it is providing that warmth for you. I've been thinking of adding a stove in the basement, 1/2 of which is a finnishe room but the cost of an additional chimney, hearth, remodel, etc has put me off that. If I could get the same result you have, I wouldn't need a stove down there. Did you insulate the basement ceiling too?

well ... 70 is hot when the upstairs is 66 normally ... before insul.. it would be say 62-64 it used to be the coolest room in the house , you go in the basement in the summer its cooler... i am not running any heat as of now .. but i was doing work down there.. today its coller at 66 but the whole house is now 66
there is no insul.. in ceiling just don't wanna turn central air in the summer down there thats all ... there is no stove there as of yet ... was going to but now think i am gonna wait because of insul... i added r-13 to the walls as there was none before...my stove is upstairs winter it stays around 50-55 in the basement with minimal help from furnace so this year i expect 60 easliy

Status
Not open for further replies.