My Dilema with recesed lights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane

Minister of Fire
Feb 18, 2009
Central NJ
I have four recessed lights in four of my rooms that were in the house when I bought it. They are non insulate type. I verified this yesterday by calling the manufacturer. My issue is I can see the attic through the slots in the housing, and when there is a frost on the roof you can see the frost is melted right above where the lights are. Of course the manufacturer recommends buying new insulate type and replacing them. The new ones are between $20 and $40 each and I am willing to bet the trims do not fit so I may double that cost.
Is was thinking of making boxes with say 6 inch clearance all of the way around using say 1 in thick Styrofoam insulation board and just setting the boxes over the fixtures in the attic. The lights must be able to be installed in a ceiling with a floor above so do you think this is a decent idea ? Or any better ideas ?

Thanks in advance

No go for making the box around them. The ic or thermal rated ones have a thermo couple inside that cut out the light if it gets to hot.

Replace them, they make an old work style if you don't have access. I highly recommend Juno brand. I use them exclusively for it's reliability ( no call backs) and ease of installation.

Prices depends on what size cans you have. The larger cans 6" etc will be cheaper, the smaller you go the price sky rockets.
For a juno ic22 should be about 10-12 bucks for a new construction style and old work style will be a couple bucks more. Look at www.lampsone.com for some trims they look nice but are very cheap.

I am in the same boat and I have 14 of them. I've been avoiding the problem.

Juno is the current brand I have. they recommended IC22R, they are 6" cans. The cans I have do not have a thermal cutoff in them as per the manufacturer. I will go and check that site. Do you know if the trims match up I have J122 model.

I too have been avoiding the problem, but finally decided to do the research to see how to get it fixed.

The trims will match up if they have basically what looks like 2 springs that attach the trim to the light.

I must caution that Juno's warranty will be void if you use non expensive juno brand trims... Never had an issue though.

The Can part it self on the new light will also be pretty air tight so that is another benefit for you.

The trims we use i believe are the SB30 here http://www.lampsone.com/products/cansntrims/6inchtrims.htm

I am not 100% sure on that, but worse case scenario order 1 trim for $1.36 and a couple bucks for shipping. We also have good results with their 65 watt bulbs for the cans for like $.75 ea too.

velvetfoot said:
That's pretty slick.

Yeah, it is. They're also adjustable, at least the ones the GF got are.
You can let em hang down maybe 2 feet or you can bring em right up
flush to the fixture...

Actually you might be able to put a box around the fixture - I know that I've seen a place, insulationmaterials.com that sells a special "recessed light cover" that is supposed to keep blow-in insulation away from recessed lights the proper distance... Looks like a cardboard box to me, but who knows.... They have both vented and non vented models. (No idea about the quality of the company posting, just linking as a "proof of existence" demo)

I'm pretty sure I've seen stuff about boxing in fixtures when adding insulation in other places as well.

Gooserider

Jack Straw said:
I am in the same boat and I have 14 of them. I've been avoiding the problem.

You have company. Our old farmhouse suffers from a 1984 yuppie remodel and lots of these recessed cans. The covertors do look slick, but after looking at what's included in the kit they seem very overpriced for adapter rings and a socket extension. Of course, the alternative isn't cheap either which is why they probably can get away with the price. Lowes sells this product which is a bit cheaper.
http://www.worthhomeproducts.com/index.asp?page=light

Also found that Lowes sells a QMI recessed light converter at much less than the can converter. I may consider these for our dining room.

I think it's pretty common to build boxes around non-IC fixtures -- you just need the proper clearances. Since you can contact the manufacturer, ask them. They'll give you all the specificis you need. They might even have instructions on their website.

pyper said:
I think it's pretty common to build boxes around non-IC fixtures -- you just need the proper clearances. Since you can contact the manufacturer, ask them. They'll give you all the specificis you need. They might even have instructions on their website.

I did ask the tech when I had him on the phone. All he would say is it is their recommendation is to replace them. I guess I should have asked for the specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.