My Fall Scrounge for 2013/2014 may be over (Updated: back at it again!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stejus

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2008
Central MA
I finally got around to getting out there and pulling in some storm damaged trees. The state forest is about 1/2 from my house and there are miles of roads through the forest. I checked with the DPW and State forestry and they told me anything down within 15ft of the road can be taken out. You should have seen the smile on my face at that point. The picture with the downed White Oak tree turns out to be a tree the town took down on my road because a plow hit it during the Oct snow storm.

My goal is 4 cords by spring. Anyway, I think I'm done for now seeing we are starting to get colder weather. My electric splitter doesn't like it too cold. No real snow in site so I may get more if time permits. Once the snow falls, I turn my spare time into hitting the trails with the sled.

Attachments

• wood 001.jpg
    wood 001.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 799
  • wood 004.jpg
    wood 004.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 793
  • wood found.jpg
    wood found.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 784
  • After week 2.jpg
    After week 2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 804
  • final pile.jpg
    final pile.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 821
Saweeeet !

We've been out scrounging every weekend. There is still an amazing amount of wood just sitting out there beside the road. I'm going for smaller stuff - mostly oak branches and the occasional round. I figure we've dragged home almost 2 cords. Photos soon. Going to keep at it until the snow flies.

Anyone want to take a guess on how much wood sits in the pile (2nd picture)? For reference, the fence panels are 8 ft tall. There's also a utility trailer behind some small rounds on the right of the pile.

Oh NO stejus! Your scrounging is never over, besides, I see plenty of yard to pile more wood.

wishlist said:
Oh NO stejus! Your scrounging is never over, besides, I see plenty of yard to pile more wood.

I agree, just need to beat the snow. Once it snows, I'm off duty until spring. The area where you see the pile is a temporary buck/split area.

On the other side of my back yard (pic below) I have enough room cleared out to stack 9 cords in a sunny spot. I could clear out more land, but having 3 years of wood on hand is enough for me. Once I use a row of seasoned wood in the sunny area, I move the newly split wood down there and give it two years to dry. As long as I have 9 cords come spring, I'm good to go.

Attachments

• 9 cords.jpg
    9 cords.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 672
+1 lots more room = more wood dont quit. maybe you can slow down and get a little more picky.

btw....love that hampton insert, how has it worked out.

That's a sweet pile by the fence... nicely done!

And your back yard is great! Lots of wood. I'd say you're good to take a break.

Great pictures of your wood.

Must make sure my wife doesn't see them, I'll be pressed into tidying ours up........ ;-)

basswidow said:

My wife is getting more into wood these days. She was out here the other day and said "wouldn't it be neat if we put an illuminated star at the top of the pile for the holidays"! Gotta love a woman's touch. Now she's got me thinking how the heck am I going to pull this off :)

I was gonna Christmas Light my row of firewood, but the Mrs. put the kabosh on that!

stejus said:
Anyone want to take a guess on how much wood sits in the pile (2nd picture)? For reference, the fence panels are 8 ft tall. There's also a utility trailer behind some small rounds on the right of the pile.

Awesome! I'd guess 2.5 cord.

Cheers!

Great score.
I bet after a break of not cutting, you'll be out there getting more.
Who says you have to split it now, so it wait till spring. That's a good spring project anyway, before the bugs come out :)

When the snow is to deep, the the sled can come out. Don't want to hit a log when out there riding :)

Great pictures

stejus said:
I finally got around to getting out there and pulling in some storm damaged trees. The state forest is about 1/2 from my house and there are miles of roads through the forest. I checked with the DPW and State forestry and they told me anything down within 15ft of the road can be taken out. You should have seen the smile on my face at that point. The picture with the downed White Oak tree turns out to be a tree the town took down on my road because a plow hit it during the Oct snow storm.

My goal is 4 cords by spring. Anyway, I think I'm done for now seeing we are starting to get colder weather. My electric splitter doesn't like it too cold. No real snow in site so I may get more if time permits. Once the snow falls, I turn my spare time into hitting the trails with the sled.

Stejus, that is great. As for winter, that is when we cut all of our wood. Just got started yesterday with the first. The only times we don't cut some is right after a wet snow, rain or ice. Also on very windy days we don't go out nor do we if it is too cold. We just stack it up and wait until snow melt to do all the splitting then. It's been a long time since we had a snow machine.

stejus said:
basswidow said:

My wife is getting more into wood these days. She was out here the other day and said "wouldn't it be neat if we put an illuminated star at the top of the pile for the holidays"! Gotta love a woman's touch. Now she's got me thinking how the heck am I going to pull this off :)

Check out some of quads pictures. He likes to plant his splitting maul on top of the wood piles. Do that and mount the star and Bingo! You have it done.

[quote author="stejus" date=" My electric splitter doesn't like it too cold.[/quote]

What do you mean it doesn't like it cold. Trips the breaker? Oil gets thick?
I just bought a small electric splitter. I did not know they don't work well in the cold.

Backwoods Savage said:
stejus said:
basswidow said:

Check out some of quads pictures. He likes to plant his splitting maul on top of the wood piles. Do that and mount the star and Bingo! You have it done.

I tried that once and it fell over.

Must get lessons from Quads, it really looks neat the way the maul sticks out from the woodpile ;-)

brogsie said:
[quote author="stejus" date=" My electric splitter doesn't like it too cold.

I just bought a small electric splitter. I did not know they don't work well in the cold.[/quote]

The hydrolic fluid doesn't flow as easy when it's below 40. Some have drained the fluid and put in other fluid. Not sure I want to do that.

Thanks stejus, I did not know that. Is it harmfull to run electric splitter in the cold?

brogsie said:
Thanks stejus, I did not know that. Is it harmfull to run electric splitter in the cold?

No, not harmful at all. I just think there is some other type of fluid to put in so it doesn't gum up like molasses.

One I use works just fine in the cold... well -10* temps... if that is "cold"?

brogsie said:
[quote author="stejus" date=" My electric splitter doesn't like it too cold.

I just bought a small electric splitter. I did not know they don't work well in the cold.[/quote]

NATE379 said:
One I use works just fine in the cold... well -10* temps... if that is "cold"?

My blood crystallizes when it's -10! Hey, are you running standard hydraulic fluid that came with the splitter or did you drain and fill with something else?

Anyone want to take a guess on how much wood sits in the pile (2nd picture)?

I say just under 10 face cord, or about 3 real cord. Time to get that stacked so we can find out the answer. :cheese: Nice work by the way.

stejus said:

2.85 cords. :vampire:

zap

Gasifier said:
Anyone want to take a guess on how much wood sits in the pile (2nd picture)?

I say just under 10 face cord, or about 3 real cord. Time to get that stacked so we can find out the answer. :cheese: Nice work by the way.

I was thinking the same. A few years back I had a two cord Holz Hausen there. Looking at this pile, I visualized that HH in it and the surrounding wood would make up the additional cord.

As far as stacking, I am still using my first stack of five seasoned piles. I am waiting for the first row of pallets to clear out before stacking. It could take most of the winter to get this mound down to the drying area. I'm also taking a ride later to find some more downed trees on the state forest roads that I haven't scrounged yet. No snow means more wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.