My Favorite Article on Wood Burning - A Unique Point of View

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
A couple of years ago I came across this gem. While much of it does not apply to today's clean burning stoves, and I want to make sure people understand that, it does help you understand the extent to which fire can be manipulated to meet your needs with a little bit of knowledge and some thought about what you are trying to accomplish. Its a great read for anyone who burns wood, but I think especially helpful for new wood burners to get them thinking about how the size pieces of wood, the type of wood, and how you load the wood, can influence what your stove does. With any stove, wood burning as almost as much an art as it is technique. It is one of the most enjoyable aspects for me in heating my home with wood. Here's the link: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-I...ood-Stove-and-Use-Them-Safely-by-Ole-Wik.aspx

Terrific article, JP! Many thanks for posting that link. As you say, even though the stove set-up he's working with is very different from my own, his explanations of what happens when you do X, Y and Z are really helpful in understanding the dynamics of what's going on in any stove. (And kudos to the magazine, too, for putting their archives on line like this.)

Ah yes, the Mother Earth News. It was our wood burning Bible in the 70's and 80's.

BrotherBart said:
Ah yes, the Mother Earth News. It was our wood burning Bible in the 70's and 80's.

I think Craig had a subscription to that magazine. But used the pages as rolling papers in the van when stoking the fire.
;)

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

I think Craig had a subscription to that magazine. But used the pages as rolling papers in the van when stoking the fire.
;)

I had a subscription for several years and used it for kindling. And, well, for other duties that required paper. I believed that Charmin was wasting valuable natural resources. I always used the pages devoted to vegetable gardens.

Geez, what a bunch of old hippies on this forum-- along with a retired Navy guy or two.

Ah yew, Mother Earth News, being "Green" isn't really that new an idea is it? I always liked what I heard was an American Indian saying "Leave no footprint upon the earth" Then again, I've always believed that at our best, somewhere, somehow we would make a difference that helped someone and therefore would leave a footprint. I think I'm getting more confused in my old age.

Damn hippies & old navy guys, oh yeah and the worst is those old fart helo pilots.
;)

Hogwildz said:
...and the worst is those old fart helo pilots.
;)

Harder to fly than a Harley old son. :lol: A long way to fall when ya lay'em down. :ahhh:

jpl1nh said:
Ah yew, Mother Earth News, being "Green" isn't really that new an idea is it? I always liked what I heard was an American Indian saying "Leave no footprint upon the earth" Then again, I've always believed that at our best, somewhere, somehow we would make a difference that helped someone and therefore would leave a footprint. I think I'm getting more confused in my old age.

I'm just yanking chains here, and actually kinda pleased. "Leaving no footprint" is pretty impossible, so I settle for "living lightly on the land." Farm country ain't exactly wilderness, but it's a far cry from city/suburbs. We sure were idealistic in those days. Now I'm just trying to satisfy my own conscience and sense of honor, I guess.

BrotherBart said:

Ha, ha, you have no Bible you rascule you!!

Whoops, forgot that BB was a Mod now with the power to make things disappear? You got that right Bubba.

Just kidding=at least brother bart wouldn`t say-because your best friend died= just go and find another one.

Seriously, that is the advice that I recieved from others. No names.

Sucks though, obviously, some people have never had close freinds or they would never make that kind of comment.?

Anyway, wood burning "rocks"!! No heat like it!!!!!!

There is that whiff again=ashes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.