My First Ever Scrounge!! Does Size Matter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramcononer

Nov 17, 2011
Long Island, NY
I posted a few days back about how I began noticing a bunch of wood around. I told some friends to keep an eye out for me, and one called me up. The pick below is my first scrounge!!! This is before it went into my truck and trailer.....

Now a quick question. Many of the "logs" are smaller limbs off the tree less than 6" in diameter. Should those be split or can they just be cut to size (18") and stacked?

Attachments

• scrounge.jpg
    scrounge.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 472
Congrats RAM, look out tho scrounging is addictive. You'll find yourself keeping an eye out on the dead neighbours ash trees and just waiting for the "kill" . Lol.... I don't split 3-4 inch stuff, sometimes even bigger. They make good night burning logs. Keep in mind that it will take longer to season but once you get way ahead its a non issue. :)

Grannyknot said:
I split anything over 4".

How do you hit it with the axe? Practice? Seems 4" is so small that I might miss with the axe??

Ramcononer said:
Grannyknot said:

How do you hit it with the axe? Practice? Seems 4" is so small that I might miss with the axe??

Practice. After you get through that pile or maybe another pile or two like it, you'll be able to hit a 4 inch target every time. You will be able to hit a 2 inch target. I split most of the wood around 4 inches or larger. I leave unsplit anything that has a big know, a Y, or won't stand up.

What kind of tree is that? I can't tell from the pictures, but my guess is Red Oak.

Wood Duck said:
Ramcononer said:
Grannyknot said:

Practice. After you get through that pile or maybe another pile or two like it, you'll be able to hit a 4 inch target every time. You will be able to hit a 2 inch target. I split most of the wood around 4 inches or larger. I leave unsplit anything that has a big know, a Y, or won't stand up.

What kind of tree is that? I can't tell from the pictures, but my guess is Red Oak.

No Idea on the type of tree...around here we call everything scrub oak, or Pine. Those are the two most common...you get some other types. Most drop acorns if that gives any hints??

Looks like an oak (pin oak) if I had to guess.

Ok, I know this might sound stupid, but hear me out. Lets say I have a big round, which has been cut to length. I have swung my axe at this thing to no avail. Should I just take the chain saw and cut it up like a pizza pie, into 4 "slices" ??

The first scrounge is like a pizza man hanging is first dollar made. Don't look at it as the amount of the scrounge, look at it as sweat equity. Soon you'll find this addictive every time you see a potential score. I look at it this way. For my time out there, I get great fresh air, exercise that I really don't need (I'm a runner), and best of all, a guaranteed burn in 2 years that cost a few bucks.

Ramcononer said:
Ok, I know this might sound stupid, but hear me out. Lets say I have a big round, which has been cut to length. I have swung my axe at this thing to no avail. Should I just take the chain saw and cut it up like a pizza pie, into 4 "slices" ??
First try to cut cookies off the sides. If that doesn't work, do some noodleing. Use your chainsaw to cut one verticle incision at a 45 degree angle to the top of the round. Go about half way through. Then insert a wedge or a well placed maul swing. It should pop at this point.

stejus said:
The first scrounge is like a pizza man hanging is first dollar made. Don't look at it as the amount of the scrounge, look at it as sweat equity. Soon you'll find this addictive every time you see a potential score. I look at it this way. For my time out there, I get great fresh air, exercise that I really don't need (I'm a runner), and best of all, a guaranteed burn in 2 years that cost a few bucks.

Very true!! Swinging the axe is the real workout IMO. Running the wheelbarrow to my backyard is good exercise as well...I don't mind it either, I compete in triathlons. The pic is deceiving. It filled a pickup bed nicely stacked and a portion of a 5x10 trailer. Im thinking around 1/3 cord stacked...? Maybe a tad more.

Luckily this was close to my house and took about 2 hours to load/unload and driving time.

gzecc said:
Ramcononer said:
First try to cut cookies off the sides. If that doesn't work, do some noodleing. Use your chainsaw to cut one verticle incision at a 45 degree angle to the top of the round. Go about half way through. Then insert a wedge or a well placed maul swing. It should pop at this point.

IM a noob. Please define Noodleing??? Great advice, thanks!..

Ramcononer said:
I posted a few days back about how I began noticing a bunch of wood around. I told some friends to keep an eye out for me, and one called me up. The pick below is my first scrounge!!! This is before it went into my truck and trailer.....

Now a quick question. Many of the "logs" are smaller limbs off the tree less than 6" in diameter. Should those be split or can they just be cut to size (18") and stacked?
IMO size is not as important as quality. Unfortunately oak (if thats what it is) will not be in the 20% mc range for 2 yrs after its split and stacked in single rows in a sunny spot.
Other hardwoods like ash, locust, cherry will be ready in one yr.

Ramcononer said:
gzecc said:
Ramcononer said:

Sorry, I probably spelled it wrong. Should be noodling.
Using a chainsaw on a round to produce wood fibers that resemble noodles. When you cut the face of a round in the verticle direction at a specific angel, it produces noodles.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=nood...tbnw=85&start=52&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:52

Ramcononer said:
gzecc said:
Ramcononer said:

Noodling is cutting the round in the same direction you would split the round with an ax. Because you're cutting along the grain the saw will make long 'noodles.' I'd cut vertically with the round sitting on one end (not sure what the 45 degree angle described by gzecc is all about, but I haven't noodled many rounds). Before you try that, I'd try splitting the edge off the round like gzecc says. Also look closely at the round. Do you see any cracks? Try splitting the way it is already cracking.

Also, you say you've swung your 'axe.' Are you using a maul or splitting axe, or just a regular axe?

If you have pics taken close we can probably tell you what kind of tree that was.

Ramcononer said:

First, if you're really swinging an axe at big rounds, that's excessively dangerous, IMO. An axe is a cutting tool with an acute edge, made of hardened steel. Experienced woodsmen have had accidents where the bit blew through the wood, proceeding to the shin and breaking same.

A maul is a tool that evolved with one goal in mind: splitting wood. The shape near the edge is much "chubbier" than that of an axe, and much better at splitting the round. They come in various head weights; some of us find that the combination of weight and velocity makes the 6 lb variety more productive than the heavier ones. And more controllable.

One approach to splitting difficult rounds is to set one up on end on a large round, then hit the round at various points along the intended split- far side, near side, middle. The sound will tell you when it's about to split.

Sometimes noodling a groove a couple inches deep makes a split easy with wedges set at either end, for example. Noodling all the way through wastes a lot of wood and makes a major mess of the area.

Most oaks split pretty simply. Until that happens the wood will NOT dry. Speaking of which, you might want to get up to speed on MMs (moisture meters)- very useful for wood-workers/burners. Water is a lousy fuel. A MM will tell you if wood is [burn now] or [next year]. Folks here will respond.

Thanks for your safety concerns. I will look into a maul. I thought I could "Split" off sections of a bigger round with my fiskars but the axe seems to just stop dead in its tracks. ROunds 10"-12" in diameter seem to split fairly easy with the fiskars, but its those bigger rounds toward the bottom of the tree trunks that I have problems with. Maybe a 6lb maul would be better for those bigger peices.

Congrats, and welcome to the club. And remember that old proverb ..."he who scrounge....stays warm" ...LOL

Ramcononer said:
Thanks for your safety concerns. I will look into a maul. I thought I could "Split" off sections of a bigger round with my fiskars but the axe seems to just stop dead in its tracks. ROunds 10"-12" in diameter seem to split fairly easy with the fiskars, but its those bigger rounds toward the bottom of the tree trunks that I have problems with. Maybe a 6lb maul would be better for those bigger peices.

Big rounds near the base of any tree tend to be hard to split.

Wood Duck said:
Ramcononer said:

Big rounds near the base of any tree tend to be hard to split.

Maybe when I scrounge, I leave those behind for someone a little more abitious. Im happy with the 10" rounds, one swing of the axe and they split, DONE!

Decent looking scrounge . . . I generally split wood once I get at 5-6 inches or larger.

Anything you can pick up by palming the end can go right in the stove as is, anything you can't palm get split.

mayhem said:
Anything you can pick up by palming the end can go right in the stove as is, anything you can't palm get split.

I like it!!

CTYank said:
Ramcononer said:

First, if you're really swinging an axe at big rounds, that's excessively dangerous, IMO. An axe is a cutting tool with an acute edge, made of hardened steel. Experienced woodsmen have had accidents where the bit blew through the wood, proceeding to the shin and breaking same.

I am not sure I understand why splitting with an axe is any more dangerous than splitting with a Fiskar's splitting axe. I split with a Fiskar's and I don't consider it dangerous. I stand with my feet side by side, so that neither foot is close enough to the round to be hit by the axe or maul. it is awkward at first, but once you get used to it, it feels normal. I don't think the sharpnedd of an axe makes it appreciably more dangerous. My maul is plenty sharp to do major damage to my foot or shin.

I am not recommending splitting with a normal axe - a maul works better - just commenting that I don't think an axe is inherently more dangerous than a maul.

Wood Duck said:
CTYank said:
Ramcononer said:

I am not sure I understand why splitting with an axe is any more dangerous than splitting with a Fiskar's splitting axe. I split with a Fiskar's and I don't consider it dangerous. I stand with my feet side by side, so that neither foot is close enough to the round to be hit by the axe or maul. it is awkward at first, but once you get used to it, it feels normal. I don't think the sharpnedd of an axe makes it appreciably more dangerous. My maul is plenty sharp to do major damage to my foot or shin.

I am not recommending splitting with a normal axe - a maul works better - just commenting that I don't think an axe is inherently more dangerous than a maul.

I split with a long log infront of my feet. so if I miss, I might hit the log first...

Status
Not open for further replies.