My first problem Mt Vernon NON AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmountvernon

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
SE Mass
everything starts up fine. convection blower kicks on, about 10 minutes running convention blower stopped running for about 2 minutes.. fire and exhaust blower still running thru the ordeal then the convection starts blowing again

im thinking maybe sawdust buildup ? and hoping not control board :)

hmmm seems ok now, fingers crossed

Maybe it is just me but I am having a hard time time following what you are saying.

sorry had a rough day just got in from a big job since 5 am

Ok so i still have a problem . What im thinking is i have a weak exhaust motor that is causing the convection blower to turn off is this possible? the problem is intermittent. i can hear the exhaust blower actually fluctuating

oldmountvernon said:
Ok so i still have a problem . What im thinking is i have a weak exhaust motor that is causing the convection blower to turn off is this possible? the problem is intermittent. i can hear the exhaust blower actually fluctuating

A weak combustion blower is not the most likely cause of your convection blower to shut down.

Your possible causes are:

1. Excess heat in the convection blower motor caused by dust and other crud ether in the motor, in the motor cooling fan, the squirrel cage, or failure to have lubricated the motor on schedule.

2. A defective or loose low limit switch.

Morning Smokey i removed the convection blower before i used the stove, i didnt go into the exhaust blower because i didnt have a new gasket
when you say low limit switch do you mean snap disc ?

oldmountvernon said:
Morning Smokey i removed the convection blower before i used the stove, i didnt go into the exhaust blower because i didnt have a new gasket
when you say low limit switch do you mean snap disc ?

Yes, that is one form of a low limit switch.

When you removed the convection blower did you clean the motor's cooling fan and get the dust bunnies out of the motor shell. When the blower motor overheats it shuts down, once the blower motor temperature drops below its limit the blower restarts.

yes sir, right now it has been running for the past hour fine, but i did notice it seems to take longer for the convection blower to kick on and start throwing heat

If it takes a long while for the convection fan to come on besides the low limit being loose or defective, there can also be build up in the area it is against.

It really pays to get the crud out of the exhaust system because it does cause all kinds of problems. Even your exhaust blower fluctuation can be caused by crud.

what setting do you have it on? the convection blower can cool the stove down below the required temp to kick the convection blower on in the low settings. it then has to build temp back up to kick on again. this is common on non ae stoves and also on castilles. there was a mod for the castilles to make the blower run on low regardless but i dont think it works on the quads. it was discussed in detail on iburncorn.com try kicking it up on a higher setting next time it does that, i bet it will stop. i dont think you have a problem unless its doing this on high or quad.

ok, going to order a gasket probably a new motor too Wish i could do it without the gasket hate to put more money in this thing as im probably selling it. gasket is 35$ i can get motor and gasket for 130 as a package deal so its a no brainer. most places want 250 crazy how 1 dealer is selling it at that price and the rest so much more

3650 said:
what setting do you have it on? the convection blower can cool the stove down below the required temp to kick the convection blower on in the low settings. it then has to build temp back up to kick on again. this is common on non ae stoves and also on castilles. there was a mod for the castilles to make the blower run on low regardless but i dont think it works on the quads. it was discussed in detail on iburncorn.com try kicking it up on a higher setting next time it does that, i bet it will stop. i dont think you have a problem unless its doing this on high or quad.

good point last night i was on quad setting turned it down to med and the fan shut off and went back on switching it back to quad... But the stove was not hot at all So we are on to something here :)

On initial startup on a cold stove, after the convection fans turns on (10-15 minutes), mine will turn off for a couple minutes too. I think the fan cools off the sensor enough to turn off. Yhis never happens more than once. I think it just needs to warm up.
I do think you need to replace the conbustion motor.
But I am no expert

tractorman100 said:
On initial startup on a cold stove, after the convection fans turns on (10-15 minutes), mine will turn off for a couple minutes too. I think the fan cools off the sensor enough to turn off. Yhis never happens more than once. I think it just needs to warm up.
I do think you need to replace the conbustion motor.
But I am no expert

Thanks for conformation you been a great help to me as well appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.