My first score/scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

milleo

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2011
Maine
I could not pass this up....I had to buy a chainsaw, I am trying to cut to length now and will split and stack and this wood will probably be for 2013/14. It mostly fresh cut beech with a little white oak and maple.....I hauled it in my blazer with the seat down and worked my butt off and the guy helped me load the big rounds onto his truck and brought it to my place for me, He was a total stranger that was cutting in front of his house when I happened to drive by....Lol....I'm happy as heck.....I only had planned to buy my wood all processed as I am 59 year old female but who could pass this up.....My guess it is about 2 cord but am not sure....

Attachments

• Picture0046.jpg
    Picture0046.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 309
I guess I am confused. I see lots more than 2 cord in the photo. If it is just the stuff in front maybe one cord. (I can't get the picture to enlarge). Regardless beech and white oak are excellent and if the maple is hard/sugar it is also. I don't know about the dog though. They chew a lot of wood sometimes but I think another saw would be less prone to run after the neighbors cat. :cheese: Welcome to the forum by the way!

Thanks Cave, The wood in the rear is what I bought for next year, the wood in the front is the 4 ft stuff and way to the left is the big rounds, I know the pic is a little confusing but I'm not good at this.....anyway the 3 and4 ft pile is 5 ft tall at its highest and about12 ft long and straight stuff to boot....

Welcome to the forum milleo.

Don't let that age scare you a bit. I know plenty of females who work like that and there is no reason not to. You'll do fine. Good for you for getting the wood ahead of time so it has the time to dry. Speaking of which, I'd suggest getting it split asap as it won't dry much in round form. How are you planning to split this wood?

When I get it cut to length a friend is coming down with a gas splitter and we will split then I will stack and let dry for couple years because I already have this years and next years wood....right now I have to get the snow off the huge tarp that I tarped it with before the storm and then will pick away at it as I can.....

milleo said:
When I get it cut to length a friend is coming down with a gas splitter and we will split then I will stack and let dry for couple years because I already have this years and next years wood....right now I have to get the snow off the huge tarp that I tarped it with before the storm and then will pick away at it as I can.....

Millie, here's how we do it. Old galvanized roofing works like a charm. I hate tarps!

Wood-2009c.jpg

wood not for this season will not be covered once it is cut and split and stacked.....I just had to cover the stuff I am working with now, Lol I thought I had a while longer before we got anymore snow since the early storm that we got in October, now everything has about 8 inches of new snow but may melt alot in the next week or so.....You have very nice stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.