My First Scrounge : Thanks Gang For The Idea!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
Today was my first firewood scrounge and I would never have thought of checking Craigs List for free wood if it wasn't for you folks! Thanks!

Got an okay Ash and a couple of pieces of White oak (I think) They're th ones in front. Also picked up a couple of pallets on which to stack the splits.

Yeah, yeah it's packed into my Subaru Baja, but that's all I have! If I had a real truck I could have had a year's supply in one day. I'll go back tomorrow!!

Attachments

• DSC_0002 (600x398).jpg
    DSC_0002 (600x398).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC_0004 (600x497).jpg
    DSC_0004 (600x497).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC_0001 (600x369).jpg
    DSC_0001 (600x369).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 345
That is a nice load and a nicer truck,I'd give anything to find a new one but they're discontinued.

Nice little load of wood, that ash is great firewood. Easy to split and quick to season, puts out some good BTUs.

ohlongarm said:
That is a nice load and a nicer truck,I'd give anything to find a new one but they're discontinued.

The little thing is a beast even it it doesn't carry a bunch. The newest you can hope for is a 2007, that's the last year of production. Cussed things go for almost as much used as they did new, sometimes more!(2003 - 2007 production run)

Bach tomorrow for a rare, for this neck of the woods, sugar maple. I missed most of the black locust and oak.

Ralph, what do you mean by, "an okay Ash?" I've never seen an ash that was not okay! Good wood it is.

Nice score Ralph - looks like ash and red oak to me, but great BTU's however you look at it. If you get the ash split now, it will be okay for next year - try to wait on that oak for 2 years, 3 if possible. Enjoy! Cheers!

That's a very nice first CL catch and a classy way to haul it too! We think of ash as the best all-around wood. It burns fine anytime, anywhere. Can't get enough of the ash wood.

Ralph,
Great score on that Ash. Interesting that it looks to have been a healthy tree. Bark still intact and all. There are very few Ash left around SE Michigan and other parts of the state. Where are you located if I may ask?
Tim

i like the bed extender thingee. did the Subi want to wheelie on the way home? my Outback got a little light in the front end when i loaded it down. nice find!

LIke NH Wood said, I think that bigg split farthest in the back is Red Oak. Great firewood but a little slow to season. It will be excellent in two years, so so next year. Ash is a lot faster and will be good next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.