My First Scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuneighty

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2012
SC PA
Getting ready for my first scrounge on Sunday, this is the message I got. I was pretty tickled, its only about 10 miles away.

I saw you were posting about firewood. if you want to cut it down i have lots and lots of trees i need cleared off of my property in Marion.some walnut some ash. lots of ceder if you want wood for campfires. just let me know ill be working on cleaning for a couple years probably.

Will do my best to have pics...

Also want to say hello and thank you all for allowing me to lurk and read, read some more, and then do some more reading.

that as they say is "the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

you'll have to do alot of clearing of non burning wood to get what you want but he wants something and you want something hey

Ahhh...the first time can be so special!

Welcome to the forum Tuneighty.

Pictures will be nice as that is a great find. Beginners luck? ;)

Welcome

First time & you hit the "Jackpot"
Sweet.
Have fun, be safe!

awesome- sounds like a good mix of wood. love that ash- it splits like butter

Reactions: Tuneighty
Thanks all. I have been granted access to 3 more properties as well, some a bit further away. I am new to firewood hoarding so picking all the lowest hanging fruit first. I always have the Michaux Forest less than a few miles away.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Marion PA just south of Chambersburg? Franklin County has some nice looking open spaces. I spent my first four years of teaching at Shalom Christian Academy and lived near Marion. I got used to the the sound of the trains at night.

Reactions: Tuneighty
This was the start:
IMG_20121104_110718.jpg

Load #2 for the day and a bit cleared out: (Its an OLD fence row and where the sand mount will be for his new house.)

IMG_20121104_171455.jpg

Got it home and split a piece of the ash and walnut (by porch light), and yes they do split like butter. The trailer is a friends and he got plenty of campfire wood out of the deal as well.

Very sweet score! Watch out for old pieces of wire and nails in those trees they can wreak havoc on a chain! :mad:

Nice score! About 90 min. south of ya on 81. Went to Shippensburg, spent plenty of time tromping around Michaux. Find some osage in those old fencerows - best firewood around.

Ahhh...the first time can be so special!
i still remember my first time like it was yesterday.....some standing deadwood in an old bog in the middle of january....i put my seats down in my old wagon, layed her down gently and just piled it in there.....such a feeling of satisfaction. ;)

cass

Reactions: schlot
Status
Not open for further replies.