My home-made firewood shortener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I bought a new stove this year,and started burning N/S. I had to shorten lots of my supply, so I used an idea I found on here ( I think it was Zaps box ). Most of us have a milk crate lying around somewhere, and we ALL have a round to screw it to!! A couple of drywall screws hold the crate to the round, and I screwed a few pieces of 2x4 in front just to keep the splits from sliding out (it tilts them back,slightly). I pack that box as tight as I can, and the 20" bar on the 290 does the rest. It works for me. Hope this helps someone. Burn on, brothers. (and sisters) :)

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 888
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 901
Love the idea!! I have been needing to do something and didn't want to take the time this year to build something like Zap's box. I have a milk crate in the garage that I've been moving around, wondering what to use it for. Now I know! Thanks!

Thinking inside the box. Nice creative problem solving.

Just make sure you pack that baby TIGHT- this way the 1st piece the bar touches stays put. I've shortened about 2 cords in a very short time like this. It works for any length split,really. You just need to measure from the rear/inside of the crate to the front of the 2x4s, and youre good to go.

I use a chop saw, sometimes called a mitre saw,12" works best, wood stays put.you can shorten about 3-5 splits at a time.

That looks like it would work good making your wood shorter W-F-A, but the invention that we really need is a wood, or "board" STRETCHER!
You may have to do some thinking "outside the box" for that one, but you could sell millions of them. ;-)

Carbon_Liberator said:
That looks like it would work good making your wood shorter W-F-A, but the invention that we really need is a wood, or "board" STRETCHER!
You may have to do some thinking "outside the box" for that one, but you could sell millions of them. ;-)
There is one already. THats what trees are, wood stretchers.

it is illegal to have a milk crate in your possesion
unless you are the authorized user........

Hang on wood-fan-atic, the guys will now start to pick on you for using the milk crate. Maybe they will let up on me now. :lol: I've used a milk crate for sitting on while splitting wood for a long time. It sits right at the right height for me.

As for illegal, that might vary by state but it is a non-issue. I've never seen it enforced. As for me, I worked at a dairy so naturally have a couple.

Carbon_Liberator said:

I saw the guy (Norm?) on New Yankee Workshop stretch a board once. It involved plane geometry, cutting the board into triangles, sliding the pieces a certain way... And, of course, he had all the tools he needed to do the job. Don't I wish...

Nancy

ironpony said:
it is illegal to have a milk crate in your possesion
unless you are the authorized user........

I don't know about milk crates (I have several but haven't been raided as of yet), but I almost got strung up for walking around Bearskin Neck with a lobsta trap float that got washed up on shore after a big blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.