My husky bogs after start-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestcoast

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2009
NW Indiana
I was running my 359 on the weekend & every time I started it up, after re-fueling or just shutting it off for a couple minutes, it didn't want to rev-up. It would just bog when I pulled the trigger. After idling for about a minute it ran just fine until I shut down again. First I thought it just needed to warm up, but it did it even when warm, so now I'm thinking it's some kind of fuel delivery problem. Anyone got suggestions?

If memory serves me correctly some 359 saws had some carburetor issues.It sounds like it may be vapor locking. The mix is sitting inside a hot engine and literally boiling the mix. After it sits and idles it has cooled off enough to allow it to run normally.Ken

Does it bog when the saw is stone cold (after a bit of warm up)? If it is a constant problem, you may have air leaking past the carb gasket. Could be a dirty carb not letting enough fuel get through. Could just be a carb adjustment (yep - on occasion it may need to be adjusted)

Does it run any better with air filter off?

Thanks for the replies.
I'll have a look tonight if possible to confirm it does happen when stone cold (pretty sure it does) & try with air filter off. If it does happen when cold & air filter makes not diff, I'll look at carb & gasket. I was reluctant to play with carb adjustments as it runs great after getting past that first rev-up; 4-strokes at WOT only in small wood or out of wood.
For background I bought this saw used in winter, have cut around 5 cord with it & it looks like it had seen moderate use. It takes anywhere btwn 4-8 pulls to start from cold, 2-4 pulls when warm.
Will post back after I get a chance to tinker.

I think the 2 known issues on that are on some models, the intake boot is plastic and doesn't seal well. There is a metal clamp fix for this. The other issue was the carbs. Some models had a walbro carb that had a lot of issues. Many users replaced these w/ Zama carb with good success.

Mine would vapor lock ,usually in hot weather. Do yourself and the saw a favor and can the cat muffler . Mine runs and starts much better after i canned the cat muffler .

Timely post...

I just got back from the repair shop with my 357 myself. Same problem, runs rough when idling, engine lags or dies when I put the gas to it. I had to turn the idle up to keep it running, which made the chain move at idle. I took a look at the filter and it looked real bad, all gunked up. It was that way when I got it, so I figured I'd get a new one when I got around to it. I tried blowing it out, then washing it with detergent and water like the manual suggested. No go, so I called the shop to make sure they had a replacement, then took a ride out there.

The guy whisked it away as soon as I walked in the door. I hear some spraying, then an air compressor, then some air blowing. Right after that, I hear the saw running. He made some quick adjustments to the carb and handed it back to me. 5 minutes tops.

"It was real doggy, so I cleaned the air filter out with carb cleaner and blew it out with some air. I don't know what you were cutting, but it sure was stuck on there. I adjusted the carb and set the idle and you shouldn't have any more problems with it. If you do, we can put a carb kit in it. Have a nice weekend."

"So how much do I owe you?" He just laughed and waved me away.

First time there. Nick's Small Engine Shop in Greenfield Center, for any Husky or Echo owners in the NY Capital District area. I asked about a trimming saw and he showed me a nice little Echo top handle for $250, so if I get the bug for a saw like that, I know where I'm going for it. Real nice guy.

Another thing to check is the fuel line and filter, I just had my Husky 36 and Sthill string trimmer run poorly of not at all. What happens is the fuel line necks down and takes a set where it passes through the tank. This cuts off or reduces fuel flow. My husky would run OK until you made a cut, then it would bog and stall. The trimmer would not run at all. Replaced the fuel line and filter in the Husky and cleaned the filter and replaced the line in the trimmer. Both run fine now. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.