My Kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
2.5 years ago I scored a massive load of Black Locust. C/S/S it for when I get the insert one day. That one day is next week. I cut up a big pile of kindling out of this and stacked it on a pallet uncovered next to my covered firewood. Took a larger split today and chopped it in half and checked moisture. 13.8% inside and 15.6% outside. been snowed on rained on and open to all weather. Not bad, I am thinking.

Touch a match and see what it does!

Boom;
You are "waaaay ahead" of most. Way ahead of me when I started burning wood.
You have some really dry wood ready to go & the stove is a week away yet.
Super high BTU wood at that!
Way to go man. You'll have a great first burn & many after that :)
Congrats!

If I could cover my kindling or my firewood, I think I'd cover the kindling. You want really dry kindling, but firewood that gets a little rain on it is still OK.

Way to get ahead of the curve! Like many I started out behind many years ago. Dry wood solves 90% of heating/burning/stove issues imho. Congrats on being well prepared. A C

I haven't been using kindling, just a fire starter square.
This morning, I put some splitter trash that's been in a plastic can for several month on the bottom, and put the splits on top. Then, I put a fire starter square under a split that was nicely raised by the kindling. It started much stronger and faster than usual, and in the morning, I can't afford to mess around.

BL kindling...huh. When it's that small (and dry) I guess it will light right up. It would burn hot and get the load going in a hurry, I'd think. I've got some smaller stuff I could make kindling out of. I didn't score a "massive amount" of BL (about two cords on a recent score) so I'll probably just use the Pine I have for kindling this season and get some dead Tulip Poplar split down for next year.

In your sig pic, are you holding a big trout or a BL split? :cheese:

You actually css wood over 2 years before you got your insert.........

That's some serious forward thinking, bet you're glad now you've got the insert ;-)

You went right to the top getting black locust and seasoning it before you got your stove. I bought my wood almost a year before I had my stove too since I learned that reading this forum. I had to pick all the oak out though, one thing I didnt learn til later was oak takes 2-3 years before you can burn it.
Ive been making next years kindling out of a pine that fell during the snow storm, scraps of pallets will do the job too.

Woody Stover said:
BL kindling...huh. When it's that small (and dry) I guess it will light right up. It would burn hot and get the load going in a hurry, I'd think. I've got some smaller stuff I could make kindling out of. I didn't score a "massive amount" of BL (about two cords on a recent score) so I'll probably just use the Pine I have for kindling this season and get some dead Tulip Poplar split down for next year.

In your sig pic, are you holding a big trout or a BL split? :cheese:

I guess I consider a massive score about 2.5 cords. Considering that one day I had nothing and then a few days later I had that amount, it seemed massive to me. At that point I never bucked, hauled, split and stacked wood before so it seemed really big to me. All of it was BL so I thought would bust some up into kindling. ABout two 36" fire wood rings worth. I guess there is better kindling out there but this stuff takes of pretty good when I have used it ice fishing and camping in the past. I am sure it will work for me this year although Now that I am learning what the "pros" do around here I will probably find some wood of lesser quality to make my kindling stash out of for next years burning. I do what works for me and figure things out as I go along.

The fish in my sig pic is a steelhead caught in the Salmon River in Upstate NY. much livelier than a split of wood!

bogydave said:
Boom;
You are "waaaay ahead" of most. Way ahead of me when I started burning wood.
You have some really dry wood ready to go & the stove is a week away yet.
Super high BTU wood at that!
Way to go man. You'll have a great first burn & many after that :)
Congrats!

Thanks. All I think about is lighting that first fire and watching a movie and having some good IPA to wash it all down. Only problem is I am used to living in a house that we keep around 60-65. I really don't like it too warm. Been waiting a long time for this so I am pretty excited.

Boom, Congrats on that insert. 14% is about as good as I can do no matter how long the wood sits. Please post some pics on how she burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.