My mild Fiat crisis.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danno77 said:
raybonz said:
That commercial rocks!! I think those Fiats are pretty cool looking myself.. I owned a MGB roadster with electric overdrive long ago and it was a blast to drive if I could keep it running lol.. Almost bought a TR-6 and regret that I didn't as I still love the looks of the TR-6.. I would think the Fiats are much more reliable now than they were back in the 70's.. They have been all around Europe for a century and are still popular.. Keep us posted..

Ray
The only car I have regrets about not getting was this MGB-GT that was for sale locally a few years ago. I didn't have the cash at the time, and I found out real quick later on that $3k for a car in its condition is hard to come by. MGB-GT (BTW) was also designed by pininfarina, same company that designed my Spider.

Love the look of all British cars.. The Austin Heally 3000 was another favorite.. I was disappointed when the TR-7 came out with the wedge shape as it lacked the style of its predecessors.. Mechanically the British cars were good but electrically (Lucas Electric) they stunk! Mechanical lifters stunk too as they required adjustment.. Todays cars are so much better by comparison with so little maintenance and so much power and way better handling..

Ray

P.S. If you find an MGC (6 cylinders) or Triumph TR-250 (made for 2 yrs. before the TR-6) grab it as they are rare..

Danno77 said:
mayhem said:
I've been struggling to "get" the Abarth for a year or so now. Saw one the other day too...its got to be one of the least attractive cars that its possible to make.
you didn't see an abarth the other day unless you were in Europe. They just officially unveiled it at the LA Auto show on Wednesday and it won't be sold at dealerships until probably March of 2012.

They may be copying the Mini or the Ka, but I see it more as a retro of the original Fiat 500 that predates the mini by a good two years.

Not sure what I saw then but it looked pretty much like this. It was NOT a Smart Car, New Beetle, Mini or anything else I'm familiar with.

abarth695ferrari.jpg

I was surprised I saw it too as I had not yet heard they were for sale in the US. Maybe a grey markey car or a tet mule? Dunno, but it was definitely an Abarth...its a pretty unmistakable car.

GAMMA RAY said:
I bet Iseedeadbtu guy is gonna love that vid....
Just sayin... :lol:

Am I really that transparent??

But seriously, back in the day when I worked in a shop, we ran the other way when Fix It Again Tony came in. Don't get me wrong . . . I am Italian. I like pasta. But rice burner beats pasta burner in cars, bikes and tractors!!

Not wanting to disappoint Gamma . . .

firefighterjake said:
When I have my mid-life crisis I'll be learning more towards the Nissan Z or Subaru WRX . . . then again I've always been a Japanese sort of guy . . . of course if I had the money . . . the Nissan GT-R would be my ultimate mid-life crisis car.

I'm startin to wonder if Jake is my little brother no one told me about.

Oh, and for the record . . . that chick in Danno's vid is NOT Italian. No mustache :coolsmirk:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
GAMMA RAY said:
I bet Iseedeadbtu guy is gonna love that vid....
Just sayin... :lol:

Am I really that transparent??

But seriously, back in the day when I worked in a shop, we ran the other way when Fix It Again Tony came in. Don't get me wrong . . . I am Italian. I like pasta. But rice burner beats pasta burner in cars, bikes and tractors!!

Not wanting to disappoint Gamma . . .

firefighterjake said:
When I have my mid-life crisis I'll be learning more towards the Nissan Z or Subaru WRX . . . then again I've always been a Japanese sort of guy . . . of course if I had the money . . . the Nissan GT-R would be my ultimate mid-life crisis car.

I'm startin to wonder if Jake is my little brother no one told me about.

Oh, and for the record . . . that chick in Danno's vid is NOT Italian. No mustache :coolsmirk:

Well if only our Mom hadn't given us both up for adoption . . . ;) :)

German BMW mini over Italian Chrysler anytime. Spend a bit more and you have a BMW 1 Series and a real car. (starts at 31k). It is kinda cute, but your spending a lot on style with Italian engineering (read "military intelligence", or" jumbo shrimp."). WRX if they could do the style.

I totally deserve all of this, I admit that I sometimes provide my opinions and forget to answer the OP's question. I'm still trying to read back through to see which post tells me I should keep the old Fiats or buy the new Fiat. Those are the options.

I don't think I can live without a Fiat. Not necessarily because I love the cars so much (trust me, the Spider is a blast to drive), but because the Fiat community is spectacular. They rival the quality of the people on this forum, IMHO. I've been a part of forums for Mustangs, Suzuki Aerios, old houses, Dodges, and Hondas. Those people are nothing like the people here or in the Fiat community.

Sell the junkers and move up to a modern one. It has to be better than the old stuff. At least it will be under warranty for a while and it will be much more powerful and handle better too. While the old stuff is fun to mess with, new cars, maybe even Fiats too, are so superior to cars from even as little as 10 years ago.

Never did post pics!
73dd73b7.jpg

47c6e3a8.jpg

Drove a 128 briefly, then a 68 Volvo 144S. Both boxy and fun. Modern cars are better, more enjoyable, but most importantly are safer. According to a quick search the 500 has 7 airbags. I have a family, so I would go with the fun safe thing that isn't constantly in the shop. (And much better on the environment, exhaust wise.) Looks like fun.

Danno77 said:
mayhem said:
I've been struggling to "get" the Abarth for a year or so now. Saw one the other day too...its got to be one of the least attractive cars that its possible to make.
you didn't see an abarth the other day unless you were in Europe. They just officially unveiled it at the LA Auto show on Wednesday and it won't be sold at dealerships until probably March of 2012.

They may be copying the Mini or the Ka, but I see it more as a retro of the original Fiat 500 that predates the mini by a good two years.

Reviving a long dead thread here. I've seen this little sucker probably a dozen or more times since this thread started. Finally saw it standing still in a parking lot over the weekend so I grabbed a photo. Then on the way into work this morning I saw grey one with red trim gassing up, it had CT plates.

Abarths have definitely been available in the US, at least in some fashion for a couple months now. Don't know where they were purchased, but they can be had apparently. This is the same car I saw in November...no way it can be mistaken for anything other than what it is.

Attachments

• IMG00696-20120128-1641.jpg
    IMG00696-20120128-1641.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 234
The regular 500 and the 500 Abarth look very similar. The sport version is likely what you saw. Go to a Fiat forum if you get really bored and tell them that you've seen the Abarth driving around for a couple of months now. See what they say.

So this is sort of like if Ford offered the Mustang v-6 for sale for a year or two before the GT went on sale and I saw a V-6 in the lot?

Had no idea we were talking about 2 different models/trim variants. Much clearer now. I thought the car was called the Abarth, period. Didn't realize the Abarth is an upscale model.

ok, now we are on the same page. Yeah, it's like the John Cooper Works model of the BMW Mini, or like the SVT version of a ford.

Personally, I don't go for highway hockey pucks, unless we're talking about the EXP (frog eye). I guess the real question is what you plan to DO with them/it.

Is it going to be a daily driver of for cruise nights and car shows, or just to bomb around in and go out for ice cream?

Do you want to fix them, or send it to the dealer?

What would you think if you saw others like your car (less likely to happen with the classics)?

Would you miss the convertible, or is a hardtop ok?

I think the 500 Abarth (and the regular 500) is very sharp looking. Go for it!
I have another little car -- the Honda Fit. I do a lot of woodworking and with the seats dropped down I can haul 9.5 feet of lumber INSIDE the car. I've also transported my 28" snowblower and 20 cases of grapes for winemaking in it. I love that little car, and the Fiats I've seen on the road are very cool.

velvetfoot said:
I had a new 128. Piece of crap.
I sat in a Fiat at a car show a couple of weeks ago.
It even has a crappy feel to it on the inside-the seat height handle felt like it was going to come off in my hand.
Very small in back.
Buy a MINI. I got 73k miles on mine and love it.
The only new car I ever bought was a Fiat 1976 area 128 SL coupe. That cured me of buying new cars. When I was supposed to pick it up I was informed there was a hole in the cylinder head & oil was pouring out of it. There weren't any replacement heads in the US though. So they took it to a welding shop & welded her up. I put about 4,000 miles on it & the transmission started shifting less smooth. I dumped it as fast I could. Only thing nicer was the X1-9, where if an older one drove by you slowly you could throw a baseball at it & not hit anything, Randy

Not to say they aren't good now, but I think it may be a while before Fiat really catches on in the US after the reputation they built in the 70s. Heck even Ford and GM make good cars now, no reason Fiat can't too.

Status
Not open for further replies.