My new 460 is home! Now with couple pics...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
Buddy of mine works for a company that sells Stihl equipment. I got it for $820 with the 28" bar. I will finally be able to tackle some of the bigger projects on my list. Big Red Oak and a Cottonwood. Picks to come tomorrow...

Congrats on the new toy.... Id love one but cant justify the $960. Oh btw site rules are .. if there are no pictures... it didnt happen. Just sayin.

Yeah a 460 there will be picks for many years of tacking the monsters...lol BTW Welcome to THE 460 Club Finest saw ever! Here What it looks like in action! Man I LOVE the 460!

Attachments

• oakaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    oakaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 440
  • james.jpg
    james.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 464
smokinjay said:
Yeah a 460 there will be picks for many years of tacking the monsters...lol BTW Welcome to THE 460 Club Finest saw ever! Here What it looks like in action! Man I LOVE the 460!

Congrats on the 460. Great saw.

P.S.
Hey Jay Which guy are you? The clean shaven one.....or the fat one?

Monkey Wrench said:
smokinjay said:

P.S.

Have to be more pacific.....

FireAnt said:
Buddy of mine works for a company that sells Stihl equipment. I got it for $820 with the 28" bar. I will finally be able to tackle some of the bigger projects on my list. Big Red Oak and a Cottonwood. Picks to come tomorrow...

FireAnt nice pickup, that vacation this way is getting closer.

zap

Thanks guys!

Here are a couple pics. I ran out to take them before I put the boys to sleep. Excuse quality and poor posing...

Good to be a member of the 460 club.

Monkey- Nice saw family you have there. Almost identical to mine.

Zap- I'll bring the tractor to...

Attachments

• php7dAAJ6PM.jpg
    php7dAAJ6PM.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 410
  • phptSX4ZSPM.jpg
    phptSX4ZSPM.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 403
man, that's nice.

hurray for the 460! mine is a power house.

Unfortunatly, I don't have any buddies that work at Stihl dealers . . . but my 440 needs a tune up, so I'm hoping they'll have a deal on a 660. I guess if I had a 460 I could justify getting a small saw to carry in the truck for emergencies.

smokinjay said:
Monkey Wrench said:
smokinjay said:

P.S.

The trouble with producin' wood chips is it takes a lotta' beers to wash em out yer mouth :lol: :lol: :lol:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
smokinjay said:
Monkey Wrench said:
smokinjay said:

P.S.

The trouble with producin' wood chips is it takes a lotta' beers to wash em out yer mouth :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL got a 3-m dust mask for the 880.....Beer is good though! Oh and the fat joke doesnt work I am as fit as anyone I know at 45 years old...

FireAnt said:
Thanks guys!

Here are a couple pics. I ran out to take them before I put the boys to sleep. Excuse quality and poor posing...

Good to be a member of the 460 club.

Monkey- Nice saw family you have there. Almost identical to mine.

Zap- I'll bring the tractor to...

Fricken Awesome keep the air filter clean clean clean......Knock it off atleast once in the A.M. and again at mid day!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
smokinjay said:
the fat joke doesnt work I am as fit as anyone I know at 45 years old...

Same here . . . back when I was 20

lol I was a lawn jocky at 20 maybe 165 now I am 180-185 after 25 years.

Boy, I could really use that saw!!! Stopped yesterday to take a look at a red oak that toppled over in a recent storm...apprx. 32"-36" wide trunk of about 20' long laying on the ground. They want somebody to take all the wood that's there...I'm hoping I can get a shot at the "smaller" stuff. I think this tree would be great to break in that bad boy!! :)

muncybob said:
Boy, I could really use that saw!!! Stopped yesterday to take a look at a red oak that toppled over in a recent storm...apprx. 32"-36" wide trunk of about 20' long laying on the ground. They want somebody to take all the wood that's there...I'm hoping I can get a shot at the "smaller" stuff. I think this tree would be great to break in that bad boy!! :)

Dunno what size saw you have ("Super II"), but if it's 50cc or more I'd get in there on that tree. the 20' log would be 1-1.5 cord right there and there must be way more than that unless that thing was only 20' tall lol. Would be a good excuse for a new saw too.
My very first scrounge was a R.Oak about that size & my 455 Rancher with safety chain took it's time going thru it, but never flinched. I just didn't tell the saw that it wasn't made for wood that size.

It is tempting as I'm thinking there is well over 2 cords to be had there. That saw is borrowed from a friend(going on 2 yrs now, I think we are temp storage for some of his stuff until he gets over the divorce) and I think it's around 50cc. My cutting experience is still in the beginners stage and he has a 18" bar with an old chain on it. I wonder if a new full chisel chain and/or longer bar are in order? Maybe I can do this along with some wedges?
I'm watching a saw on Ebay right now (72cc Stihl) but I doubt I'll get it for what I can afford.

muncybob said:
It is tempting as I'm thinking there is well over 2 cords to be had there. That saw is borrowed from a friend(going on 2 yrs now, I think we are temp storage for some of his stuff until he gets over the divorce) and I think it's around 50cc. My cutting experience is still in the beginners stage and he has a 18" bar with an old chain on it. I wonder if a new full chisel chain and/or longer bar are in order? Maybe I can do this along with some wedges?
I'm watching a saw on Ebay right now (72cc Stihl) but I doubt I'll get it for what I can afford.

New chain will help and stay with the smaller bar. Or a big redd set up 20in bar and a full skip chain on it.........

muncybob said:

Do you have a 20" bar? You could probably tackle it from both sides.

These are two larger projects. I cut most of the small stuff on this oak (it's on the ground now) The trunk has about 40' left. It gets big near the end! The other is the cottonwood. The guy cutting it down in the photo is using a 660 with a 32" on it. This trunk section is 75' long. It is about 44" inches round give or take a little. The photos do not do it justice...

Attachments

• oak1a.jpg
    oak1a.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 223
  • jacksaw1.jpg
    jacksaw1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 213
  • phpl7II1eAM.jpg
    phpl7II1eAM.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 214
Interesting technique with the bottle jack... had not thought of that or seen it done.

Hey fireant i see your from ct. did yo happen to buy it at farmington valley equipment.?

ecocavalier02 said:
Hey fireant i see your from ct. did yo happen to buy it at farmington valley equipment.?

No, my buddy works for a company in New Haven. That's where I got it from. We bought our tractors at Farmington Valley though. Real nice guys down there. I live in Berlin and get most of my equipment from Center Hardware in town.

Where are you from?

Anthony

Im here in Bristol. So only 10 min from ya. Nice to see some people on here from ct with the addiction I have lol. 460 looks nice I'm in the lurch fir 660 myself.

Nice! Addicted YES! I am trying to figure out if I like the cutting or burning more...I think it is pretty much equal. This is my first full year burning. I burned for 2 months last year.

I am very familiar with Bristol. Our family business (Fastener distributor) use to be in Bristol for 21 years up until last year. We were on Broderick Road over by ESPN. We moved the company to Berlin when we had to downsize...

Check out Center Hardware if you are looking for the 660. It is right off 72.

Status
Not open for further replies.