My new PDVC is now running superbly!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
Thanks to an Englander on line tech. I waited about 20-30 minutes on the phone but when I consider some folks wait days or weeks for a local shop to get to them I feel that I received preferential treatment.
OK, I originally couldn`t quite get it to heat my insulated garage/workshop (concrete floor) to a desired temp level , as mentioned in a recent post of mine. I just knew it wasn`t putting out the heat it was capable of . I was baffled because at heat range 9 the heat coming out the front just wasn`t as hot as it should have been even though the flames looked decent.
Here`s the fix:
I re-programmed the heat *mode* not to be confused with heat range from d to c setting. What a significant difference it made.
The on line diagnostic page briefly touches on heat *modes* , not how to do it but only that "a" is more likely to shut the stove down on overheat . So from this information gleaned today I can assume that there are a,b,c,and d modes. A being the hottest and d being the least hottest. These modes alter the top auger feed cycle times in a similar but more significant way than the heat range adjustments do.
Anyway, the results were simply astonishing. I had to lower the heat range from 9 to 5 and the temperature in the gargae still edged upwards so I see myself running it at around 2-3 once the temp gets up to around 60.
The tech also had me adjust the lower 3 buttons to 6-9-1. The stove is simply running superbly now and all as good as my Harman in the house. I`m really impressed with it.

Great to hear Gio!

Just curious...what did you have the bottom buttons set at before?

macman said:
Great to hear Gio!

Just curious...what did you have the bottom buttons set at before?
They were at 4-5-1 originally and the low burn at setting 1 and 2 seemed to be just fine . I played with them but saw nothing significant with any changes I made BUT it is now noticeable since I changed the heat mode.
I`m a little puzzled why he wanted my low burn air so high at 9 but it works 100% so I`m not gonna second guess him. I will however play with that a bit tomorrow and try it at 7 or 6 and see if I detect a change in smoke or flame pattern.
I`m also wondering if it has any effect on the higher settings versus their claims that it doesn`t.

Gio said:
I`m also wondering if it has any effect on the higher settings versus their claims that it doesn`t.

I spoke to another member about that very thing, and they claimed that Englander told him that those buttons DO have some effect on the other burn setting. I changed mine last night from 1-4-1 to 3-2-1 (wanted to increase the pellet "heat", but lower the amount of heated air going out the exhaust).

Well, it worked GREAT! My great room got so warm, I had to reduce the heat settings from 8-8 down to 5-6 last night, and woke up to a warmer house this morning. I even had to lower it even more tonight. It's 25 °F outside now, and the stove is keeping the room at 71 on heat setting 3-4!!

macman said:
Gio said:

I spoke to another member about that very thing, and they claimed that Englander told him that those buttons DO have some effect on the other burn setting. I changed mine last night from 1-4-1 to 3-2-1 (wanted to increase the pellet "heat", but lower the amount of heated air going out the exhaust).

Well, it worked GREAT! My great room got so warm, I had to reduce the heat settings from 8-8 down to 5-6 last night, and woke up to a warmer house this morning. I even had to lower it even more tonight. It's 25 °F outside now, and the stove is keeping the room at 71 on heat setting 3-4!!

Mac so at 3-2-1 is working great for you? I'm glad you are seeing more heat! Let me know if you have different results at other settings! Thanks, Chris

It seems it pretty much just trial and error

so if im at 5-4-1, would raising the middle number to a 7 or so give me a lower flame? methinks its too high but lowering the feed makes it almost go out

donkarlos said:
so if im at 5-4-1, would raising the middle number to a 7 or so give me a lower flame? methinks its too high but lowering the feed makes it almost go out
It won`t hurt to give it a try.

I had the same issue with my 25 PDVC that I use in my concrete floor shop. The tech guys walked me through reprogramming to "C" mode as well. What they didn't say was where to set the lower buttons, I'll try the settings you mentioned tonight, really interested to see what that 9 air setting will do.

BJN644 said:
I had the same issue with my 25 PDVC that I use in my concrete floor shop. The tech guys walked me through reprogramming to "C" mode as well. What they didn't say was where to set the lower buttons, I'll try the settings you mentioned tonight, really interested to see what that 9 air setting will do.

Being that my back garage workshop is on a slab and has 4 outside walls I knew it wasn`t going to be the easiest area to bring up to temp quickly but as the tech says, the stove should be able to heat the space easily but from a cold start it would take longer. I had no dillusions about that from the beginning and with this heat mode change the difference was immediately felt. The heat blowing out is now very hot. I`m gonna do more checks , tweaks , and measurements today.

donkarlos said:

Raising the middle button (LBA) setting adds more air. Gives a better burn (shorter flame?....maybe), but also sends more heat out the exhaust. If your at 5-4-1, and want a lower flame, reduce the LFF to 3 or 4 and see what happens.

Presa canario said:
.....Mac so at 3-2-1 is working great for you? I'm glad you are seeing more heat! Let me know if you have different results at other settings! Thanks, Chris It seems it pretty much just trial and error

Chris, I tried lowering the LFF again, so I'm down to 2 (now at 2-2-1), and still seeing great heat. House is at 70 degrees on settings of 3-4 last night with outdoor temps here in mid 20's.

It seems to me that lowering the LBA from 4, to 3 or 2 has helped the most....it's not sending the exhaust out of the stove as fast, and heat exchanger has more time to suck the heat out.

macman said:
donkarlos said:

Raising the middle button (LBA) setting adds more air. Gives a better burn (shorter flame?....maybe), but also sends more heat out the exhaust. If your at 5-4-1, and want a lower flame, reduce the LFF to 3 or 4 and see what happens.

That makes sense macman.
I think marginal differences from one stove installation/venting setup to another might be the reason there isn`t one do it all setting for everyone.
We each have to find that balance of proper flame vs dirty burn,heat output etc.
A high air might overall reduce the chances of a smokey/dirty burn but as you say too much air could lead to more heat exiting out the vent. I`m about to go out and play with that now and see if I can walk mine down from the #9 LBA setting.

Gio said:
.....That makes sense macman. I think marginal differences from one stove installation/venting setup to another might be the reason there isn`t one do it all setting for everyone.
We each have to find that balance of proper flame vs dirty burn,heat output etc........
Exactly. And all stoves are affected this way, not just Englanders. EVERY stove/exhaust/house set-up is different. So while it's great that we can try to help each other out with info and different settings, getting the most out of your own personal stove setup is a matter of some trial & error, and of course, lots of great help from all our pellet-head friends here on the forum.

To be honest, I had become a little disappointed in the heat output from my "new" stove. I used to be able to run my Astoria on heat setting of about 3 or 4 (out of 5) on the coldest days last winter, and the house was warm. This year, I was having a hard time keeping 70 degrees w/ the new stove on setting 9!

Seemed that the exhaust pipe was very hot, but not so much was coming into the house. The adjustment I made in the last 2 days has been amazing, and I now am lovin' this multi fuel unit.

So, as you said Gio, everyone needs to do a little "tinkering' to get the best performance.....and most of it is common sense.

I find that even on settings 3 and 4 heat range the bottom 3 buttons on the PDVC DO have an effect on the heat output. On setting 3-3 with 5-6-1 I get 175-200 degrees while on 3-3 4-6-1 I get about 150 degrees. the higher setting does burn more pellets though.

emm said:
I find that even on settings 3 and 4 heat range the bottom 3 buttons on the PDVC DO have an effect on the heat output. On setting 3-3 with 5-6-1 I get 175-200 degrees while on 3-3 4-6-1 I get about 150 degrees. the higher setting does burn more pellets though.

Try lowering the LBA a notch or 2......maybe try 5-4-1, or 4-4-1. Slowing the combustion blower down a little will give the heat exchanger more time to remove more heat from exhaust stream, but also use less pellets.

zimmie said:
How do you find those settings. ABCD ?

First, I`d recommend you do this only at the advice of a service tech but this is how I recall doing it:

1....Start with a cold stove
2.....unplug it
3.....plug it back in and within 2 sec`s press both blower speed arrows simutaneously and hold for two sec`s and release them , you will see a letter in the heat range window. If you`re slow and miss the timing just unplug it and start over.
4....If it is a letter d press the down arrow to change it to c. Then hit the on button. That should get you in a hotter burn range.
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! Don`t tell anyone you got it from me.

I did this today, and it definitely works. I had the stove running at heat 6 blower 8, after doing this I got similar temperatures in the house running the stove at 4/6. Nice find, Thanks!

I checked my 25-PDV, it is on C

Phatty said:
geek said:
I checked my 25-PDV, it is on C

i cant get my 25-PDV to come up w a letter seting ?????

try exactly what Gio mentioned, it works.

thanks gio, your first post inspired me to call englander and get the procedure. the heat output was night and day. definitely running a lot hotter. unfortunately,physics takes over and it takes more pellets to make more heat, but its wirth it. by the way, the tech @ englander said earlier model stoves were set to "c" from the factory. people complained about not being able to run their stoves in a cooler range,so they started setting them to "d" after that. i imagine i'll go to "d" for the spring and fall and "c" for the mid-winter. but for now, i'm sure glad i rear your post!!!!!!!!

speedoboy31 said:
thanks gio, your first post inspired me to call englander and get the procedure. the heat output was night and day. definitely running a lot hotter. unfortunately,physics takes over and it takes more pellets to make more heat, but its wirth it. by the way, the tech @ englander said earlier model stoves were set to "c" from the factory. people complained about not being able to run their stoves in a cooler range,so they started setting them to "d" after that. i imagine i'll go to "d" for the spring and fall and "c" for the mid-winter. but for now, i'm sure glad i rear your post!!!!!!!!
Thats quite interesting about the earlier models being set to c . I`m glad to hear all is well with your stove now.

Gio, thanks for the heads up. Made a noticable difference for sure. I am going to fine tune the lower three alittle more this weekend.

rottiman said:
Gio, thanks for the heads up. Made a noticable difference for sure. I am going to fine tune the lower three alittle more this weekend.

I strongly suspect there have been more than a few unsatisfied users of these stoves over this somewhat well kept secret mode change capability that can raise the heat output so significantly. I wonder how many users live with it as it is. I also wonder why the instructions are not available in the users manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.