My plans to get more heat upstairs - any thoughts/suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szumbrun

Oct 25, 2010
Middletown, MD
Currently I'm using a box fan at kitchen/family room border blowing into family room which is working pretty
well to make it comfy upstairs. I want to consider a more permanent solution though. Attached is my floor
plan with 3 proposed modifications to improve upstairs heat from the stove. I checked with fire marshal and
with local building code and installing the ceiling registers is fine. They'll be blowing air down into the room.
What do you think about this setup? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Layout 1.jpg
    Layout 1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 355
A little off the beaten path, but you are going to make your hot air travel either up through the flooring or up through the foyer. Perfectly fine. Try to eliminate it cooling down on the way: make sure your front door is very sealed, as is the door to the garage, and put an insulated curtain over the window next to the stove to help prevent immediate heat loss.

Hot air can move very quickly with a gentlepush from a fan. But it won't move upwards unless it stays hot. Try to prevent it from losing heat on the way.

Try placing a small fan near the bottom of your stairwell facing the stove. I have a similar set -up and having a fan blowing(medium speed) towards the stove helps in moving cooler air down and warmer up. Works for me. Basically assisting the natural flow of air.

I have a similar house except my stove is straight across from the stairway and my foyer is more open to a living room. I have not made any modifications and find the bedrooms stay about 10 degees cooler on cold nights and it is perfect for our family for better sleeping. Our kitchen is above the stove and the floor stays toasty warm.

I like your idea of the floor registers. You may not need the fans. If the air can move freely, you will get natural convection. Warm air will move if it has a place to go and the cooler air can return.

If your upstairs bedrooms are over the entire shown area, meaning over the diningroom and the living room, I would want floor, ceiling registers there. The heat will naturally raise up the stairs and migrate towards the registers. I have 3 registers in my house one at either end of the house and one towards the middle, all going into stove room, my stove room is our family room (very large). I have no fans in registers and heat moves pretty well. I do have ceiling fans in upstaris rooms which circulates the heat as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.