My Pleasant Hearth stove,and my husqvarna 445

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truck243

Feb 20, 2011
louisville ky
After MUCH debate, and uncertainty ,I purchased a woodstove from Lowes for 500 dollars, in the early spring, and, at times I was gonna return it, based upon some folks reviews, but it is the BEST purchase I have ever made, my house is warm, I love watching the fire, and my new husky 445 is enough to ALMOST replace some of the other things in life I enjoy ( I wont elaborate). The stove is a little lacking in features, of course, like an ash pan, or side loading to name a few, but with seasoned wood, and a little bit of practice, I can build a nice fire, and I do have hot coals the next morning. Oh, I forgot to mention, it is the small model, I dont have model # handy,SO, thats just my two cents worth. I have learned alot from all the people on this site, thanks all! I will post pictures when I have the time.

truck243 said:
After MUCH debate, and uncertainty ,I purchased a woodstove from Lowes for 500 dollars, in the early spring, and, at times I was gonna return it, based upon some folks reviews, but it is the BEST purchase I have ever made, my house is warm, I love watching the fire, and my new husky 445 is enough to ALMOST replace some of the other things in life I enjoy ( I wont elaborate). The stove is a little lacking in features, of course, like an ash pan, or side loading to name a few, but with seasoned wood, and a little bit of practice, I can build a nice fire, and I do have hot coals the next morning. Oh, I forgot to mention, it is the small model, I dont have model # handy,SO, thats just my two cents worth. I have learned alot from all the people on this site, thanks all! I will post pictures when I have the time.

Welcome to the forum! Congrats and enjoy the heat! Look forward to the pics..

Ray

Welcome and congrats.

The big thing is you got started and are up and running. for a lot of us its life long learning- adding more saws, the rest of the toys and stoves. If you enjoy it I suspect you'll be adding as well.

Do you use the Husky chain on your saw or did you change it to something else? I had a Husky 445 and returned it for a 455 and hated that as well. It seem on larger fresh cut logs 18"+ diameter that it took forever to cut through. Both the chain and saw were in new condition but I doubt they get much better with age.

I replaced a PoulanPro 42cc/18 inch with the Husky, I'm thrilled with it, I dont fell trees usually, I just cut pieces to size for the stove. Maybe what youre cutting requires something more, hmmmmm.

Truck, welcome to wood heat and the forum! I'm curious to know which model stove you got from Lowes.

J5, I have a husky 455 and love it. I did replace the chain with an aftermarket chisel tooth for bucking and I have had no troubles. What are you running with now?

My Oslo heats my home said:
Truck, welcome to wood heat and the forum! I'm curious to know which model stove you got from Lowes.

J5, I have a husky 455 and love it. I did replace the chain with an aftermarket chisel tooth for bucking and I have had no troubles. What are you running with now?

After trying out quite a few I ended up with a Stihl 066 with a big bore kit and Oregon skip tooth chain for cutting up firewood.

Keep us updated on the stove as I'm curious to see how it holds up and how you like it. As far as the saw goes, I have cut all of my firewood with a Husky 455 rancher/chisel chain and have never found the saw to be the limiting factor on how much/how fast I can cut wood (for me it's my back) so if you are happy with your 445 saw keep using it. I have used a 445 when cutting with a buddy on occasion and never had a problem with it in fact I thought it cut pretty good and felt a heck of alot lighter than mine. Some day you might feel like upgrading but every day that you use the one you own you are saving some money. Enjoy the stove and the warmth this winter!

j5 said:

After trying out quite a few I ended up with a Stihl 066 with a big bore kit and Oregon skip tooth chain for cutting up firewood.

J5, now that's my kind of saw....lol....I got a pile of the old Stihls, biggest is an old 075av which I am reringing this winter, along with building a dual port muffler....I like the old saws, which in my opinion cut better than the new ones....they are lower RPMs than the new ones, but pound for pound I love the old magnesium saws..Where are you located in Central PA?

Scotty Overkill said:
j5 said:

J5, now that's my kind of saw....lol....I got a pile of the old Stihls, biggest is an old 075av which I am reringing this winter, along with building a dual port muffler....I like the old saws, which in my opinion cut better than the new ones....they are lower RPMs than the new ones, but pound for pound I love the old magnesium saws..Where are you located in Central PA?

I'm in Shamokin, My 66 has about 20 years on it which adds some weight but the power down low is fantastic. I've heard great things about opening up the mufflers on the bigger older stihls but never tried it myself. Are you going to adjust the air/fuel afterwards? I'd like to know how that works out for you, both power wise and how loud it gets.

OK, that's it...this thread has become all about chainsaws rather than woodstoves...over to The Gear forum it goes. Hang on, here we go!

Welcome to the hearth . . . still wondering what other things you are watching . . . I mean I thought everyone just lit the fire in the woodstove and stared at that all night long until it was time for bed. ;)

firefighterjake said:
Welcome to the hearth . . . still wondering what other things you are watching . . . I mean I thought everyone just lit the fire in the woodstove and stared at that all night long until it was time for bed. ;)

I'm not really sure what that means.

welcome truck.

waiting on pics. I bet the 445 is a pretty good saw. I am going to upgrade my poulan one of these days... LOL

truck243 said:

I meant to say I was wondering what else you were watching and doing . . . other than watching the fire.

j5 said:
Scotty Overkill said:
j5 said:

I'm in Shamokin, My 66 has about 20 years on it which adds some weight but the power down low is fantastic. I've heard great things about opening up the mufflers on the bigger older stihls but never tried it myself. Are you going to adjust the air/fuel afterwards? I'd like to know how that works out for you, both power wise and how loud it gets.

I am just west of State College....yes you do have to tweak the carb a little when you free up the exhaust, but I noticed some nice power when I dual-ported my Stihl 041AV Super.....seemed like quite a bit more power...and it sounds like a friggin dirt bike....lol.....I'll do a video of it sometime and of the 075AV when I get it back together.....the 066's with the ported muffler sound like animals, too......frees up some power and really sounds good....neighbors may frown though....

firefighterjake said:

lol Firefighterjake......don't get much better than that....

j5 said:
Do you use the Husky chain on your saw or did you change it to something else? I had a Husky 445 and returned it for a 455 and hated that as well. It seem on larger fresh cut logs 18"+ diameter that it took forever to cut through. Both the chain and saw were in new condition but I doubt they get much better with age.

Which Husqy chain would that be? In what condition?
Rcvd a refurb 455r a month+ back, with a new "type 80" Husqy chain- full-chisel, full-comp, no-safety BS, 20" b&c. Cuts great, but goes dull like a snap-switch. Touch it with a file, and nothing wooden will stop it. (Hint: Dulling happens at the tip of the cutter, first.)

You could have a dull chain- do you know how to tell dull from sharp?
You could be trying to cut with the bar tip with anti-kickback thingies keeping the chain from cutting at the tip.
New condition is not necessarily sharp, or pointed in the right direction. Skill in hand-filing is a HUGE plus.

And, for $300, I don't hate this saw, rather, love it. No framed pictures, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.