My Scrounge Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
I've been seeing this piece of wood laying for months - many of which were before I began burning. Recently I talked to the owner and she gave me the go-ahead! Here are a few pictures. It appears to be some type of pine, but I'm not sure what kind. I've been wanting some pine ever since you all said it was fine to burn and that it burned very hot. Next year I'd like to be able to pick the temps up in the stove after work and in the morning very quickly. We burn a lot, but definitely not 24/7.

Anyone care to guess what type of pine?

And no, I'm not very good with a chainsaw yet. We're cutting this with a Stihl 026 with a 16" bar - so we're having to cut one side and walk around and cut the other.

Attachments

• IMG_1416_small.jpg
    IMG_1416_small.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1417_small.jpg
    IMG_1417_small.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 315
two more:

Attachments

• IMG_1418_small.jpg
    IMG_1418_small.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1420_small.jpg
    IMG_1420_small.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 317
I won't try to I.D on a softwood, but that's a nice looking chunk of wood. What's the diam of that trunk? It is either a monster, or you're bucking it pretty short.

midwestcoast said:
I won't try to I.D on a softwood, but that's a nice looking chunk of wood. What's the diam of that trunk? It is either a monster, or you're bucking it pretty short.

I'm bucking pretty short in anticipation of a smaller size stove to be installed this year upstairs. Diameter is roughly 34". 12" rounds is what we're cutting out of this one.

<edit>Nice catch...I was wondering when someone would notice that. :)</edit>

I'll guess that it is Norway Spruce. The flaky bark looks like Norway Spruce, and so does the fact that apparently the tree was large and had a lot of small branches. Norway spruce is a very common yard tree - not native, but widely planted.

Spruce will be similar to pine, perhaps even lighter and faster burning.

Wood Duck said:
...Spruce will be similar to pine, perhaps even lighter and faster burning.

That's great to hear! This is the wood that I want bring the stove up to heat quickly. What a great score for me!

It looks like you're working that saw too much. Make sure your chain is sharp or spend the $15 and buy new. You may want to make sure the bar is in good condition and possibly flip it, it may cut a bit better. I know pine can be a pain to buck. That's why I'll only take it if it's cut to length already.

Raybonz, I think I see indications that the tree had branches in whorls - several branches arranged around the trunk, and had lots of smaller branches. Those things seem to indicate spruce rather than Pitch or Red Pine.

That first pic looks good enough for 3" planks.

Wood Duck said:
Raybonz, I think I see indications that the tree had branches in whorls - several branches arranged around the trunk, and had lots of smaller branches. Those things seem to indicate spruce rather than Pitch or Red Pine.

Sounds like you're more familiar with this ID.. Good job on that! It was just a guess on my part..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.