My scrounge so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rossivale

Dec 28, 2009
UK
Hi guys

Thought I would post some pictures of my scrounge so far.

If anyone has any ideas on what sorts of wood I have, I would love to know. :)

This was dropped off the other night, by my friends husband, who works for the local council. My sister and I split it over the next two nights.

Photo0003.jpg

This is what my sister picked up on her travels.

Photo0007.jpg

More of my sisters handy work.

Photo0012.jpg

And the last two pictures are her very first attempt at stacking some wood, she is very proud it :), and you can just make out the roof of the wood she we made out of a few pallets, to the left of the picture.

Photo0010.jpg

Photo0013.jpg

We are really enjoying our wood finding tours. :), mission for this weekend is, 8 or so pallets, and make a new home for the wood.

Jo

I'm not very good at identify wood from pictures, but good work!

Looks like lots of maple to me. and just split, too.
Cut different lengths can be tough to stack, but they burn in the stove real nice.

I've had lots of hurricane wood in the past that was cut different lengths to be carried and ended up with lots of odd lengths. Just made bins out of pallets and tossed them in.

Thanks Guys,

I know what you mean about different lengths Billb3, but when its being dropped off for free in log form I can't really complain :) we split it Mon/Tues this week, I am hoping it will be ok to burn Nov/Dec onwards???

Does maple burn ok?

Sorry for all the questions.
Jo

It's free & it's delivered.
Season it & keep it dry
It'll burn.

Good score & pics. √

I think your maple is likely to be like our 'soft' maples, and should season in one year to be a nice firewood. Your scrounged wood looks like mine - odd and ends, uneven lengths, and many different types of tree. It will all be good firewood. Once it is seasoned, the heaviest pieces will burn longest and slowest (as long as they really are seasoned, not heavy because they are wet), and the lighter stuff will usually burn faster but create heat more quickly.

Thanks for the replies guys

I am looking forward to burning wood nov/dec onwards, as this year I have been burning coal, as I left it way too late to decide on getting the multifuel stove.

Coal is ok, and I am getting that for free too, but I have to clean out every day etc, and it does not smell as nice as wood when it burns :)

Jo

Status
Not open for further replies.