My very best cheesy Backwoods Savage Impersonation w/ pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
Did my annual splitter rental today and couldn't help myself.

Green shirt w/ vest check.
Big hat, check
Ear protection, check
Eye protection, check
Hand on lever, check
Stare at camera, check
Huge woodpile, well its big but nowhere near Dennis proportions
Sitting down splitting vertical, check

Most importantly. Milk crate seat..... CHECK

Dennis, they say that impersonation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Actually, I prefer to split horizontal standing up but hey, for a picture opportunity like this...... Even brought the milk crate.

Attachments

• backwoods savage impersonation-1.jpg
    backwoods savage impersonation-1.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 905
Looks good other than you are about 186,032 cords short of wood for a background ;)

pen

Wow glad you told me it wasnt Dennis. The only thing that would made me question it would be no pillow for the butt! lol

Not to highjack the thread, but is splitting sitting down easier? I can't imagine it is. Bending over to pick rounds while standing is a hard enough work out, sitting down, twisting to pick up a round or stand up, pick up a round, sit down and repeat seems grueling.

trailrated said:
Not to highjack the thread, but is splitting sitting down easier? I can't imagine it is. Bending over to pick rounds while standing is a hard enough work out, sitting down, twisting to pick up a round or stand up, pick up a round, sit down and repeat seems grueling.

I don't remember. I split horizontally one time. The day I bought the splitter. In 1988. And line'em up on an incline like this and split forever without getting up or lifting anything.

And that "Dennis" picture is a hoot. :lol:

Attachments

• big pine.jpg
    big pine.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 789
I was just getting ready to yell at Dennis for pushing it to far
But then I noticed it was a green vest instead of red & no snow.
& oh yeah the pillow on the milk create LOL.
You almost got me :lol:

Great pic, good looking wood, nice splitter.

trailrated said:

Dennis has his wood trained. All the rounds line up, hop up on the chopping block, and then stack themselves when they're split. Cartoon bluebirds circle his head and chirp melodically. That's how you can tell it's really Dennis.

I'm liking this a lot, and think plentitudinous imitations of the imitation would take this to a whole 'nuther plane . . . Lord Battenkill would make a fine Dennis, but he's probably busy burning down the neighborhood again. Kathleen might pull this off . . .

Great impersonation !!!!!

Shawn

trailrated said:

Never seen anyone on my splitter last more than 20 mins on the horizontal. We get the round to the OP and the guy on the splitter only splitts.

that is a great impression , it might bring laughter to him to get out of the cabin fever he has been feeling. hope your on the mend

I love this pic! A true homage to Dennis . . . thanks for the laugh.

trailrated said:

It's a Ford vs. Chevy thing . . . Pepsi vs. Coke . . . Stihl vs. Husquvarna . . . MTD vs. Huskee . . . Celtics vs. Lakers . . . etc.

It comes down to what you find comfortable . . . and what works for you. For Dennis and his devotees (and there are quite a few of them) splitting vertically while seated is more comfortable and Dennis says the wood is close to hand . . .

For me spliting horizontally is easier . . . especially since I tend to roll the rounds right off the trailer which is close to the same height of my splitter.

Again . . . there is no right way or wrong way to split . . . it's what works for you . . . although don't tell that to Dennis since I like to razz him about splitting wood the wrong way. ;) :)

LOL... close, but no cigar. Now if you would have flipped that picture... I'm pretty sure Dennis' splitter has a right-hand lever and he's not an on-the-edge-of-the-seat kinda guy.

Always horizontal for me, unless the rounds are too heavy to pick up. Had about 5 or 6 of those in the past 9 yrs.

My pile of rounds is usually 5 to 6 ft high so it makes sense to stand the whole time. Most of the logs are at or above the the height of the splitter beam.

More comfortable for me to stand than to bend constantly or to stand and sit over and over.

I like it - very funny.

That milk crate is just not going to cut it for you. I always us a big round to sit on and a cushion from my patio furniture!

Nice looking new splitter - looks like fun!

:lol: :lol: :lol: "Dennis, they say that impersonation is the sincerest form of flattery."

You guys just made my day. lol My wife is laughing harder than I am too!

I didn't hit the quote, but Trailrated wrote, "Not to highjack the thread, but is splitting sitting down easier? I can’t imagine it is. Bending over to pick rounds while standing is a hard enough work out, sitting down, twisting to pick up a round or stand up, pick up a round, sit down and repeat seems grueling."

Nothing could be further from the truth. Bending over while standing is indeed what I want to stay away from but truth be known, it is just simpler and easier while sitting. The height you are sitting does make a difference but for sure I do not twist much at all to get the next round nor do I stand to do it! Stay sitting. Over 99% of the rounds can be placed on the splitting wedge using one hand only! Simply roll the logs and never lift. Roll them like they were a tall can, like an old milk can. This is so much easier on the body I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Sitting down is not grueling, it is more like relaxing. No hard work, not even sweating.

Amen. Why stand when you can sit!

Backwoods Savage said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: "Dennis, they say that impersonation is the sincerest form of flattery."

You guys just made my day. lol My wife is laughing harder than I am too!

I didn't hit the quote, but Trailrated wrote, "Not to highjack the thread, but is splitting sitting down easier? I can’t imagine it is. Bending over to pick rounds while standing is a hard enough work out, sitting down, twisting to pick up a round or stand up, pick up a round, sit down and repeat seems grueling."

Nothing could be further from the truth. Bending over while standing is indeed what I want to stay away from but truth be known, it is just simpler and easier while sitting. The height you are sitting does make a difference but for sure I do not twist much at all to get the next round nor do I stand to do it! Stay sitting. Over 99% of the rounds can be placed on the splitting wedge using one hand only! Simply roll the logs and never lift. Roll them like they were a tall can, like an old milk can. This is so much easier on the body I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Sitting down is not grueling, it is more like relaxing. No hard work, not even sweating.

+100

smokinjay said:
Wow glad you told me it wasnt Dennis. The only thing that would made me question it would be no pillow for the butt! lol

LMAO

I have a bony butt and if I sit on one of those things with no ( built in) cushion they HURT.

Hey Guys, it is not a pillow I sit on but it is an old hot seat. It's about 3/4" thick and keeps the backside from getting cold. At my age, that is important!

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Guys, it is not a pillow I sit on but it is an old hot seat. It's about 3/4" thick and keeps the backside from getting cold. At my age, that is important!

Damn, I seem to have missed that little detail completely Dennis. Maybe someone else would like to give it a try with another picture. It could be a regular feature here. :cheese:

snowleopard says:

I’m liking this a lot, and think plentitudinous imitations of the imitation would take this to a whole ‘nuther plane . . . Lord Battenkill would make a fine Dennis, but he’s probably busy burning down the neighborhood again. Kathleen might pull this off . . .

WoodpileOCD said:
Maybe someone else would like to give it a try with another picture.
I would except for a few minor details.
I'm not sure I remember how to make my splitter go vertical.
I'm taller, leaner, with long legs and more handsome. LOL
I don't own a milk crate.
If my father looked down from the heavens (God rest his soul) and saw me working sitting down, he'd send someone over to kick my butt. In fact, that's why I can't sit. He kicked my butt so hard he broke something and 45 years later, it still hurts my lower back to sit for any length of time.

BWS is a nice guy and we love to poke fun at him, but only because he is evangelical about his stance. He sure does look ornery in his pics though it doesn't show at all in his posts.

That was awesome! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.