My wife cleaned the chimney today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
So, she texts me this morning and says "It's 63 in here and not warming up very fast. Will you be home soon?" About 45 minutes later she says "I guess I got it, it's 67 now. But it smells hot." Soooooooooo, when I get home an hour and a half later, I go to the basement, and the ashpan door and air control on the loading door are wide open :gulp: . The fire is down to coals at this point, and the house isn't burning, so I walk outside and there is there is a bunch of black flaky stuff on the ground and roof around the chimney. I pulled the cap off the bottom of the cleanout T, and there is still some stuff smoldering in it. Luckily, thanks to good wood and good burning habits in my non EPA furnace, there is never much buildup in the chimney.

After a thorough inspection, I found nothing but some very clean pipes. The label is still on the telescoping section of double wall connecting to the chimney, so I guess it didn't get that hot.

She said she thought she closed it. She knows she screwed up, and I was pretty calm about it. I just pointed out that that was the exact reason I never walk away from it without getting a good burn and cutting the air back. Lesson learned, I guess.

Jeff, no offense meant to you or your wife but this is not the time to be calm. The lesson in the possible danger there could have been really needs hammering home hard. This might ensure that you don't have to come home and find just a pile of ashes some day.

On the other hand, I'm really happy for you that it turned out okay.

Stop and pick up a couple dollar kitchen timer to set near the stove. Ask her if she would set it for 5 minutes no matter if she thought there was any chance that she was going to let the stove go out of her sight or not.

On the other hand, she really shouldn't let the stove go out of her sight in that condition ever, but stuff happens. Glad it turned out OK. Hope she realizes and learns. Everyone who has burned wood has done something along these lines before. Gender doesn't matter.

pen

Egads . . . happy to say my wife runs the stove as good if not better than me . . . I never worry about having her do something that could lead to a fire or damage to the stove or chimney.

She's always done a really good job with it. Just thought she closed it I guess. I'm not gonna blow a nut about it. Most who have been married for a while know that doesn't do any good. We talked about it and about what could have happened. I think having all that air coming in sent all the heat up the chimney and kept the furnace from getting to hot, and having a pretty clean chimney kept the chimney fire from getting too hot. No damage done, but a real eye opener for her. And another good reason why I want to get a stove upstairs.

Having a good discussion with her was the right thing to do. Throwing a hissy fit and "hammering hard" would be counterproductive. The timer is a good idea. I've started setting the timer on my iPhone to remind me to go check the fire while I'm watching TV in another room. I walked away last week for seven or eight minutes (longer than I intended) and the stove top thermometer was pegged at 900 degrees? Who knows how hot it actually was but, thankfully, it could not have been that hot for more than a very brief time. No glowing red cast iron. No scorched smells.

Timers are good if you're going to leave the room at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.