My wood pile for next year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2009
Connecticut
Started getting ahead of the curve. I have split and stacked about 5 rows ( in the pics below). Each one is about 8 feet long, 6 feet tall and18 inches. I want to do 4-5 more such stacks this year ( for the following year).

How many cords do I have with the 5 rows?

Attachments

• pile1.jpg
    pile1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 493
  • pile2.jpg
    pile2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 517
Looks Warm at your house!

Niiiice!!!! 72 here yesterday,54 with sunshine today.Supposed to be at least 50 until Monday,then drop a few with rain possible.Havent burned any since last Saturday,should be almost done for the season.Maybe a small fire some evenings for a few hours to take the chill off is about it.

Very nice wood piles
YOu are definitely ahead of the curve.

if you figure roughly 3 cords, you'll be close. (but probably just a skosh less)
rows are not exactly even, shoulders rounded some (are the high spots 6' or the low spots 6'
so a good estimate.(.6 cords per row)

Any reason in particular that you split the wood so small?

Jotul Rockland - CT said:
Started getting ahead of the curve. I have split and stacked about 5 rows ( in the pics below). Each one is about 8 feet long, 6 feet tall and18 inches. I want to do 4-5 more such stacks this year ( for the following year).

How many cords do I have with the 5 rows?
8' x 6' x 1.5' x 5 rows =360 cu ft.

360 cu. ft. / 128 cu. ft per cord =2.8 cords... Thats using the exact measurements.

Nice piles.

Thanks! I split a little small to facilitate quicker seasoning ( 7 more months till next burn)

Pile consists of Oak, cherry, maple, white birch and apple ( split 4 months ago)

Stack looks good and good for you on getting ahead. You stack much higher than we do.

Looks good, Id try and get to 4 cords, if you have any left you can use it the following year.

NATE379 said:
Any reason in particular that you split the wood so small?

I was thinking "that's a lot of kindling" :) If it's a first year I can see it helping so you have wood that is ready by fall.

Nate & Rdust, you made my comment, as I saw the pictures "that's a lot of kindling". My pieces are so big now, 2 big ones and a wide flat piece fill the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.