My Wood Shed is Having a Bad Day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northwinds

Minister of Fire
Jul 9, 2006
south central WI
I intensely dislike unseasoned oak.

Insurance company's tree service is supposed to be here in another hour or so.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,086
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1,099
OH MAN! I don't know whether to say sorry for your loss (shed), or enjoy burning that sucker in two years. Hope it all works out! Is it fixable?

I hope so.

The bonus is that's my father-in-law's pontoon boat under the tarp. He just parked it there last
week for the winter.

Oh sh!t. Sorry to see that northwinds. Hope the insurance company comes through for you on fixing that. How bad is the father-in-law's boat? It would be nice if the insurance company's tree service would do some of the heavy cutting on that big tree for you. Maybe the guys will be good to you, and if you ask niceley, they might buck the whole thing up for you. Good luck man, and keep us posted on how you make out.

That is a shame, glad no one was hurt. I live in the woods and have cut down, or had cut down close to a hundred trees that were too close to my house and my barn. Many were Poplar, some oak. Still have plenty of trees just don't like them near the house. Good luck with the repairs.

I am sorry to hear about that. That is just a pain to deal with, and of course it comes at a time when you need the wood that is in the shed.

However, I will say that the way you presented it made me laugh. This could almost be a caption contest:

"A tree strikes back..."

or

"REVENGE!!"

or

????????????

I see a lot of 2x4 pine there that should be good burning! :lol: Life sucks you are born and then you die and Chit happens in between.

Gary

That's a terrible way to get wood in the shed.

Think the insurance company is going to notice the saw marks on the bottom of the tree? ;-P

pen

Gary_602z said:
I see a lot of 2x4 pine there that should be good burning! :lol: Life sucks you are born and then you die and Chit happens in between.

Gary
Thats a good attitude. Sometimes I think my only place in life is to fix things. But thats okay I feel blessed that I can fix just about anything.

IA Burner said:
I am sorry to hear about that. That is just a pain to deal with, and of course it comes at a time when you need the wood that is in the shed.

However, I will say that the way you presented it made me laugh. This could almost be a caption contest:

"A tree strikes back..."

or

"REVENGE!!"

or

????????????

Made me laugh too.

How about
"Buck ME? No Buck YOU" (sorry for the blatant theft of the tagline, I thought it fit)

or

"Mess with my little brother, you mess with me. Take that. "

I'm sure a lot of you out there are more clever than me. . Lets hear from you.

northwinds said:
I hope so.

The bonus is that's my father-in-law's pontoon boat under the tarp. He just parked it there last
week for the winter.

Sorry to hear about it. Sounds like your insurance company is on top of it already. Hopefully, you can leave the mortgage company out of it (I was not so lucky).

Is the boat insured? When my workshop burned down, my home owners insurance would not cover my boat that was close by and melted. They said it should have had it's own policy.

The two tree guys just left. An interesting couple of guys with Husky saws. It was a tricky job--heard the
chain hit tin a couple of times. There was a lot of swearing, and some close calls with heavy wood falling.
But it's all bucked up except for the stump--which had no saw marks. :) The tree was on a hill and broke
off about 4-5 feet up from the stump. It wasn't hollow but the core looked punky where it broke off.

I was up in that shed to get a wheelbarrow of wood last night, and all was well. This afternoon, I went up
into the other outbuilding for snow shovels and when I turned around was greeted by the sight of that oak
invading my shed.

The roof is trashed--branches pierced through numerous places even where the tree didn't fall through. The boat
sustained significant damage--knocked off the power console and steering wheel and bent up one side pretty good.
The boat is insured by a separate policy.

There's a bunch of wood for 2013 or so, but it probably isn't going to pay for the deductible(s). An insurance adjuster
is supposed to be calling me in a day or so for an inspection of the damage. My agent expects things to be straight-
forward, and hopefully it will be so.

Your agent represents the best interests of the company not your best interests.You may want to hire a public adjuster,that is a person who represents you and your best interests not the insurance company.I own rental property and have seen huge differences of what an insurance company wants to give you as opposed to what you get when a public adjuster gets involved.They will usually charge 7%-10% of what they get you but I have seen where an insurance company was trying to pay someone off at $18000 and I set them up with my public adjuster and he got them $100000. Basically they know every trick the insurance company will pull and are knowledgable about your policy whereas you and I read a policy and it doesn't mean much to us.Obviously your decision but I just wanted you to be informed.

I do appreciate your thoughts.

I worked as an insurance defense lawyer for five years, so my eyes are wide open as the
process unfolds.

Another possible caption;

"Cut down the tree, put the wood in the shed. Ed, are you sure we didn't miss a step?"

Bummer.
Sounds like you are staying positive, get it cleaned up , fixed up & get something from insurance.
"un-seasoned Oak" I had to smile. A good attitude helps. :)
Good luck.

Had a birch come thru my garage Christmas eve way back. Now there are no trees that can reach the house.

Damn that sucks. I guess you have a good excuse to build a new woodshed. I hope all works out in the end. 2 years from now , when you are feeding the fire, you will most definately remember where THAT tree came from.

Shawn

northwinds said:
I intensely dislike unseasoned oak.

Insurance company's tree service is supposed to be here in another hour or so.

Sorry to see the damage on your barn.

zap

Sad to see. Good luck with the insurance.

Shame about the boat. Hope they can make the shed and boat right.

This stinks . . . and it reminds me . . . I really should check into getting a few trees near my house taken down.

That sucks! I too hope that you get everything fixed up nicely and quickly.

The adjuster is coming up on Tuesday for damage assessment. Father-in-law is past the "glad no one was hurt stage" and is
venting about his pontoon boat. Chit happens and life will go on. Winter's here (heading to 24 degrees tonight), and plenty of
seasoned wood. I've used tarps before, and I guess I'll use them again till I get things sorted out.

At least he won't be needing the boat for a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.