My XXV experience thus far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODNUT358

Aug 1, 2008
RI
Well since I installed my new Harman XXV on January 6, 09, these have been my experiences.The stove has performed great,keeping the house warm.Then the 0-5* weather came,and the stove really struggled to keep the house at 68-70*.What I did,is,I set my heating thermostat at 68*with a 3*differential so the heat would come on if the stove couldn't keep up.This caused the heat to come on for around 15 minutes to boost the temp up to 69*.I would get 3-4+hours before the temp would drop enough to run the boiler.I'm wondering if anyone with a XXV had to do the same?I realized from the beginning,that these are not wood stoves,and they do not put out nowhere the btu's.I am also wondering,what temperature do your stoves run?,the top,and the out put at the blower.

HarmanXXV :)

Hmm..I cut that board three times and it's still to short :red:

That is admirable performance from a pellet stove - considering the weather. I'd say, all in all, that folks with Harmans as as satisfied...or more so, than with any other brands. To some degree you get what you pay for, and Harman builds a heavy duty piece. We have seen many pellet stoves that struggle below 20 or 25 degrees (depends on house, of course), so being able to do the job down to 10 or 15 degrees is about all you can expect. Most years it barely hits that temp in RI>

Yup - I have been using oil to boost the house temps to 68 twice a day. (6am and 5pm). At the same time I also switched back to oil hot water from electric and run the Super Store tank during the same time frame. I have burned about 100 gallons of oil since Dec 1
and have cut my pellet use to 1 bag per day. The house is MUCH more comfortable, especially in the far (office) rooms.

My XXV in my not so well insulated cape style house kept the rooms that are exposed to it at 67 degrees, although they normally read 72-74 on the digital thermometer. It has averaged minus 18 the last two nights. I Have it set on "room temp" mode at 75 degrees and the feed rate on 4. I was, however, putting in 3 bags of pellets in a 24 hour period. I suppose I can deal with that as long as the house is pretty warm. Now that the temperature outside is a balmy 8 degrees, I'm right back up to 74 in the main rooms. Might have to turn the stove down some!
And during the past few days the furnace hasn't kicked on once!

i have harman xxv heating aprox. 1200 square feet,2 story home newer windows and doors,-30 deg. wind chill the last few days
74 deg. down stairs,68 deg. upstairs back bedroom.burned aprox. 1.5 bags 24 hrs.i only had insulation to top of joists had
company blow more insulation in crawl space and attic also found bedroom walls had no insulation along crawl space.
best 500.00 dollars ever spent .

My Harman XXV ,new this fall has been doing ok as well.I have had the woodstove in the basment cranking when it could not keep up with the -25 temps here in NH.Also been using the oil furnance for hot water and upper bedrooms of our 2500 sq expanded cape.We used 1 Ton of pellets, a bit more then a cord of wood (ice storm) and 165 gal of fuel oil.We would use about 800-1000 gal a winter with just the wood stove (2 cords of wood) and furnance.

Only minor complaint I have,again minor,is the glass gets pretty sooted up-easy enough to clean but that air wash needs some more work.
I have had to replace my combustion motor,easy enough and I didn't pay for the part as it was warranty.They evidently had a bad batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.