Name that pest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Was moving some wood from my stacks to my porch today and came across one split filled with little ballpoint pen-sized holes through the bark. Fortunately it was the only split that looked like this. Anyone have any idea what might be inhabiting this piece of wood? Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• Wood1.jpg
    Wood1.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 301
Stegman said:
Was moving some wood from my stacks to my porch today and came across one split filled with little ballpoint pen-sized holes through the bark. Fortunately it was the only split that looked like this. Anyone have any idea what might be inhabiting this piece of wood? Should I be concerned?

Some type of beetle probably powderpost beetle.. I wouldn't leave that wood in the house more than a week or so to prevent trouble.. I get beetles in my wood too and it's pretty common I think..

Ray

Probably some kind of powderpost beetle.Quite common under the bark & sapwood of various hardwoods.Especially love Hickory,Honey Locust,most Oaks etc.I've seen them in Eastern Red Cedar/Juniper also.If you see small piles of very fine 'dust',thats a good sign.

Stegman said:
...Should I be concerned?

Not particularly, unless you're keeping your firewood in a wet place (which I don't think you are). Whatever those teeny little critters are, they're not going to consume any significant portion of your firewood...and they'll burn just fine. I must have cremated about a gazillion little organisms like that by now. :coolsmirk: Rick

That a piece of ash you have there right?

Here's mine. Just posted this in a thread about drying wood in the house 2 days ago.

March003.jpg

These head into ash around here as soon as the tree is cut (healthy or not) and live under the bark chewing between the bark and wood until they mature and take off. Just be glad you didn't bring that wood in earlier before they hatched. I made that mistake once and would up with literally 10's of thousands of them. Sucked 1/4 of them off of the window sills in the basement every night for 3 weeks. It was awful. Now that the wood is dry they can't live in there. BTW, they won't hurt the house or any wood in it.

Here's a shot of the culprit
stock-photo-bark-borer-isolalted-on-white-background-extreme-close-up-with-high-magnification-this-beetle-is-77200018.jpg

pen

I have them in some wood that is unknown. They don't touch the oak. Also they don't seam to need wet wood, because my wood is real dry. I have never found or seen the bug. I burn those pieces first when I find them.

xman23 said:
I have them in some wood that is unknown. They don't touch the oak. Also they don't seam to need wet wood, because my wood is real dry. I have never found or seen the bug. I burn those pieces first when I find them.

If you see the hole, the bug is gone. Never to return to that piece of wood.

pen

xman23 said:

I get larger beetle holes in my oak usually..

Ray

Yup. The old PPB. If you want to see some damage from them, stack up a bunch of dead elm and they will be all over it. The wood is still just fine when they are done. Just knock or brush off the super fine sawdust before taking into the house.

pen said:
That a piece of ash you have there right?

Here's mine. Just posted this in a thread about drying wood in the house 2 days ago.

March003.jpg

These head into ash around here as soon as the tree is cut (healthy or not) and live under the bark chewing between the bark and wood until they mature and take off. Just be glad you didn't bring that wood in earlier before they hatched. I made that mistake once and would up with literally 10's of thousands of them. Sucked 1/4 of them off of the window sills in the basement every night for 3 weeks. It was awful. Now that the wood is dry they can't live in there. BTW, they won't hurt the house or any wood in it.

Here's a shot of the culprit
stock-photo-bark-borer-isolalted-on-white-background-extreme-close-up-with-high-magnification-this-beetle-is-77200018.jpg

pen

Yup, it's ash. Have about 3 cords of it for this winter. Good to know the PPB is harmless.

Thanks for all the quick answers

All my 2 year stacks (with hickory) look like your pics. When ever I have wood borers here is what emerges. the red headed ash borer. I may have had other borers but I have never seen any other adults except this one.

Edit: Adults and Firewood

Adults emerge from infested host wood, chewing 2-5 mm diameter round holes. If the insect host has been made into firewood, the adults can emerge from wood stored in the home prior to burning. Redheaded ash borer adults are seen as

Attachments

• red headed ash_borer_oklahoma-290x300.jpg
    red headed ash_borer_oklahoma-290x300.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 191
Status
Not open for further replies.