Name that Tree????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotulburner

Sep 9, 2010
maine
Well I will be showing my ignorance with this but what the heck I have never claimed to be Einstein or Paul Bunyan for that matter. I am hoping one of the knowledgeable members of this forum will help me identify this tree. It fell after big storm last month. I am sure it is a maple just not sure what kind. I am just guessing but I think it is a Sugar Maple. I limbed it and started cutting so it can season over winter as I got into the trunk it has a very pretty grain wondering if it is worth trying to mill trunk or just continue chunking it up into firewood. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• photo-36.jpg
    photo-36.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 399
  • photo-32.jpg
    photo-32.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 421
  • photo 5-9.jpg
    photo 5-9.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 401
  • photo 5-7.jpg
    photo 5-7.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 414
Maple of some sort . . . any nearby leafs you can take a pic of would help identify the tree a bit better.

As for a mill . . . I don't imagine many mills would want to buy or take just one log . . . maybe a smaller mill might, but I would guess you would be on the hook to get the log to them . . . I would just cut it up and consider yourself fortunate in finding easy wood.

This might help with the identification.

http://www.umext.maine.edu/mainetreeclub/MTC.htm

thanks for info fyi leaf from tree in question thanks again.

Attachments

• photo 2-5.jpg
    photo 2-5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 337
  • photo-34.jpg
    photo-34.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 351
Looks like red maple to me based on the leaf . . . definitely not sugar maple.

Red maple isn't bad though . . . just not the primo wood of a sugar maple. I am/will be burning some red maple this year that I processed a couple years ago while clearing land for our fire department fire pond . . . it's not a bad wood . . .

http://www.umext.maine.edu/mainetreeclub/FactSheets/even-year-htm/RedMaple.htm

Yep, the bark and the leaf both say Red Maple. The bark is tricky by itself, but looks more like Red or maybe Silver than Sugar. The leaf is clearly Red Maple. The small teeth along the edges of the leaf are characteristic of Red. Sugar Maple leaves are strongly five-lobed (the leaf in the picture is three-lobed, more or less) and have smoother edges than Red Maple leaves.

Looks piney to me!

smokinjay said:
Looks piney to me!

+1 that first and fourth pics anyway, those rounds from the same tree? Awfully scaly bark for a Maple.

+2, looks like a lot of pine we have here in NJ,,but the leaves dont match, very scaly. Dont see any pine needles laying around......

The bark changes a lot as it ages and there is a huge difference between the young and older trees. Soft maple it is but I would not worry about milling that particular tree. Firewood only.

Status
Not open for further replies.