Name this part - 038 av

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gapman789

Nov 5, 2010
Ohio
This fell out of my stihl 038 av tonight. Any idea what it is, where it goes, or does it even belong to this saw?

Sorry for the bad pics.

vwu5b9.jpg

okqv5i.jpg

Sorry man; can't tell what the heck that is in the picks. Could be a set screw, a shear pin or a squirrel turd. Better picks would help!

Hard to tell ? the idle stop screw??

Yeah guys, my digital camera was stolen last week....waiting for Black friday to get here to pick one up. These are cell phone pics.

It's a set screw. 1/4" long. Flathead screwdriver slotted on the end.

Sometimes a set screw like that was used in the fuel tank vent.

Makes me dizzy looking at it....Southbound done a few of these bet he knows.

MasterMech said:
Sometimes a set screw like that was used in the fuel tank vent.

That's a possibility. I feel the screw fell from the tank/carb area. And there is no tube/hose on the fuel tank vent.
I'll have to check it out.

If it is a coarse screw with a flat slot head then it goes in the fuel tank vent tube. There should be one at each end of the vent tube. The coarse threads allow air to pass by letting your tank vent.

Rob

taxidermist said:
If it is a coarse screw with a flat slot head then it goes in the fuel tank vent tube. There should be one at each end of the vent tube. The coarse threads allow air to pass by letting your tank vent.

Rob

I looked at the one I installed today on a 064 and you are right.. I never looked before always thought spring like in the oil line...

Status
Not open for further replies.